Physics Study in Gap Time after High School Suggestion

In summary, the person is unsure what to do between high school and university. They are considering taking a course in introductory physics and mathematics and looking into following a syllabus for each class.
Seydlitz
Hi all,

I would like to know if you guys could suggest me what's the best way to fill my free time (six months) between graduating high school and entering university. I will be taking Bachelor of Science with major in Physics. I also have plan to continue my study further if possible. However I don't know exactly what's the best way to spend my free time in the mean time. I really wish I don't forget most of the materials taught in high school. (UK A Level standard)

Should I start to read college introductory text-books such as University Physics and perhaps also mathematical text-books to advance my knowledge? If yes, what are your suggested syllabus? Is it necessary to read through the basic again or should I just follow the syllabus of basic physics undergraduate? (such as those listed in IOP website)

Thank you for your time

P.S: I also want to know what do you think if one takes language or music course in addition to that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I would suggest any introductory college textbook, Serway & Jewitt are great. As for course syllabus, you could look on MIT open course where and search for introductory courses to physics (classical) and Calculus 1 classes and work your way from there. They have a great syllabus to follow for each class. Some even have video taped lecture videos. Also, there is nothing wrong with taking a couple electives to switch things up! Goodluck!

Thank you very much guys, I'll surely look at all of the given links. :)

Do any of you has experience in facing the same situation as mine? If yes I'd like to know what did you do also.

I'm actually in the exact same position as you, given I start university this upcoming fall. In preparation for first year (and just simply for excitement), I am studying directly from first-year calculus, linear algebra and physics textbooks. I hope to at least obtain an overview of the main notions/theorems outlined in these books.

NATURE.M said:
I'm actually in the exact same position as you, given I start university this upcoming fall. In preparation for first year (and just simply for excitement), I am studying directly from first-year calculus, linear algebra and physics textbooks. I hope to at least obtain an overview of the main notions/theorems outlined in these books.

Alright I'll try to read some of the preliminary materials. Thank you!

1. What are the benefits of studying physics in gap time after high school?

There are several benefits to studying physics during gap time after high school. This time can allow for a deeper understanding of the subject, as well as more time to explore different areas of physics. It can also provide a break from traditional schooling and allow for personal growth and development.

2. How can studying physics during gap time help with college admissions?

Studying physics during gap time can be beneficial for college admissions as it shows dedication and a strong interest in the subject. It can also help to strengthen college applications and make them stand out among other applicants.

3. What type of courses should I take during my gap time to prepare for studying physics in college?

It is recommended to take advanced math and science courses during gap time, such as calculus, chemistry, and computer science. These courses can help build a strong foundation for future physics studies in college.

4. Can studying physics during gap time improve my understanding of other subjects?

Yes, studying physics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be applied to other subjects. It can also help to develop a better understanding of the natural world and how it relates to other fields of study.

5. How can I make the most out of my gap time while studying physics?

To make the most out of gap time while studying physics, it is important to set goals and create a study plan. It can also be beneficial to participate in internships or research opportunities, attend physics conferences, and engage in self-directed learning through books or online resources.