Where are the points?Where are the points?

In summary, the question is asking for the (x, y) position(s) at which the electric field is equal to the given values for three different cases. To find these positions, one must use the equations for electric field and force, and make use of the given charge and distance values. By setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown coordinates, the (x, y) positions for each case can be found. It is also helpful to make a diagram and use trigonometry to determine the direction of the electric field vector.
sam.

Homework Statement

A 10.0 nC charge is located at position (x, y) = (1.0 cm, 2.0 cm). At what (x, y) position(s) is the electric field
a. -225,000i N/C
b. (161,000i + 80,500j) N/C
c. (28,800i + 21,600j) N/C

Homework Equations

E = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])(q/r^2)
F = Kq_1q_2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

With a) I used the Pythagorean theorem to find r^2 using (x, y) which is squareroot 5. However, I'm not exactly sure where this gets me. I honestly have no clue as to where to start with this question and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
sam. said:
With a) I used the Pythagorean theorem to find r^2 using (x, y) which is squareroot 5. However, I'm not exactly sure where this gets me. I honestly have no clue as to where to start with this question and any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you probably ought to show that calculation. I get for part (a) that the distance from the charge is 2 cm.

In each part, use the field magnitude to find the radius of the circle centered on the 10 nC charge on which the point could be found. You will want to make a picture of the way the field points. Since the charge is positive, the field points outward from it; where would the "test point" need to be on each circle in order to have those field vector components? (The direction can be found by the appropriate use of trigonometry.)

1. What are electric charges?

Electric charges are fundamental properties of matter that describe the attraction and repulsion between particles. They can be positive, negative, or neutral.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic electric charges?

Static electric charges are stationary and do not move, while dynamic electric charges are in motion, such as in an electric current.

3. What is the relationship between electric charges and electric forces?

Electric forces are the result of the interaction between electric charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. How are electric charges measured?

Electric charges are measured in units called Coulombs (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

5. How can electric charges be transferred?

Electric charges can be transferred through three main methods: conduction, induction, and friction. Conduction occurs when charges are transferred through direct contact, induction occurs when charges are influenced by a nearby charged object, and friction occurs when two objects rub against each other, causing a transfer of charges.