Neumann Boundary Conditions using FTCS on the Heat Equation

In summary, u(0,n) and u(1,n) represent the values of the solution at the boundary points x=0 and x=1 at time step n, and the given initial condition provides the values at these points at time t=0.
tlonster
I am really confused with the concept of Neumann Boundary conditions. For the simple PDE

ut=uxx for the domain from 0<=x<=1

I'm trying to use a ghost point (maintain a second order scheme) for the Neumann Boundary condition ux(0,t) = 0.

I understand that I can setup a scheme to calculate u(0,t) by

u(0,n+1) = (1-2r)u(0,n) + 2ru(1,n)

What are the u(0,n) and u(1,n) representative of?

I'm given u(x,0) = sin((3*∏)/2)(x+(1/3))

Any help would be appreciated to help me understand what those inputs actually are.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
u(0,n) and u(1,n) are the values of the solution u at the two grid points x=0 and x=1 respectively at time step n. In other words, they are the numerical approximations of the PDE solution at the boundary points. The initial condition u(x,0) = sin((3*π)/2)(x+(1/3)) gives the values of the solution at x=0 and x=1 at time t=0. Thus, u(0,0) = sin(3π/2) + (1/3) and u(1,0) = sin(5π/2) + (1/3).

1. What is the Heat Equation?

The Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of heat in a given space over time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of heat transfer.

2. What are Neumann Boundary Conditions?

Neumann Boundary Conditions are a type of boundary condition that specifies the derivative of a variable at the boundary of a system, rather than the value of the variable itself. In the context of the Heat Equation, this means that the heat flux at the boundary is specified instead of the temperature.

3. How are Neumann Boundary Conditions used in the Heat Equation?

In the Heat Equation, Neumann Boundary Conditions are used to model situations where there is a constant heat flow at the boundary, such as in a system with a constant temperature source or sink. This allows for more realistic and accurate simulations of heat transfer in various systems.

4. What is the FTCS method?

The FTCS (Forward-Time Central-Space) method is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations, including the Heat Equation. It is a finite difference method that approximates the derivatives in the equation using a central difference scheme and solves for the values of the variable at discrete points in time and space.

5. How are Neumann Boundary Conditions implemented using FTCS on the Heat Equation?

To implement Neumann Boundary Conditions using FTCS on the Heat Equation, the central difference scheme is modified to include the boundary terms. This allows for the heat flux at the boundary to be accounted for in the numerical solution, resulting in a more accurate simulation of the system's behavior.