Wave function of particles approching 0 K

In summary, particles cooled asymptotically to 0 K would have wave functions the size of galaxies or even larger. However, this is not possible in practice as all interactions with other particles would have to be switched off. The ground state of particles does not have zero energy and therefore, cannot reach zero temperature. Cooling and thermalizing neutrinos is not possible. An example of macroscopic quantum behavior is liquid He-4 at low temperatures, where the particles lose their identity and can be described by a macroscopic wave function. The dimensions of the container also begin to limit the properties of the system.
nehorlavazapal
Am I right to think that particles cooled asymptotically to 0 K would have wave functions the size of galaxies or even larger (provided they would stay cooled long enough for that light cone---).

Physics news on Phys.org
0 K is the ground state assuming it is not degenerated. This can still have a finite energy if the material is trapped somewhere. It does not need to spread out so large.

Yes, of course. I was only asking if it is possible in theory..at let's say 10^-20 K. For example if vacuum fluctuations would collapse the wave function into a smaller volume.

Please reread mfb's answer. 0K does not mean zero energy, it means minimum energy.

Yes, please forgive me if I am missing sometihing: I would rather reformulate my question: are there any fundamental bariers that would prevent a small macroscopic agregate (like 10^6 atoms) from having a 95 % probability of being inside a galaxy via extremely low associated energy? For exampe is there any fundamental real limit on the "bond energy" inside that atomic cluster?

All our atoms are within our galaxy with (practical) certainty.
To get the wavefunction of a particle (or even a set of particles) spread out over the scale of a galaxy, you would have to switch off all interactions with other particles. There is no known way to do that.

The answer by mfb is very good.

The thermal de Broglie wavelength of non-interacting particles becomes infinite as temperature approaches zero.

Yes, that's what I have meant. Are there any particles that would come close.. like a few kilometers, i.e. very cold neutrinos or WIMPs?

Photons can easily do that. Use a flashlight and point it towards the sky. That's not in thermal equilibrium then, of course.
I guess neutrinos can work as well.

Well the ground state of the harmonic oscillators for example, doesn't have 0 energy, and so it won't have 0 temperature...
[itex] [E]=[k_{B}][T][/itex]
So how can we say it can reach for example T=0 at GS?

ChrisVer said:
Well the ground state of the harmonic oscillators for example, doesn't have 0 energy, and so it won't have 0 temperature...
Zero energy has nothing to do with zero temperature.
Actually, "zero energy" is an arbitrary definition. Zero temperature is not, it is defined via entropy.
Your equation just matches with units, but not with the physics.

nehorlavazapal said:
Yes, that's what I have meant. Are there any particles that would come close.. like a few kilometers, i.e. very cold neutrinos or WIMPs?

I'm not quite sure what you are after. Cooling and thermalizing neutrinos is not possible. What first comes to my mind as an example of macroscopic quantum behavior is liquid He-4 at low temperatures. In a many-body system of identical bosons, the system condenses to its lowest energy state at some low temperature and the particles lose their identity (Bose-Einstein condensation for non-interacting particles). The onset of this transition usually occurs when "the wave functions of the atoms begin to overlap", i.e. when the thermal de Broglie wavelength is of the order of the interatomic separation. Superfluid He-4 can be described by a macroscopic wave function. And actually the dimensions of the container begin to limit the properties of the system.

1. What is the wave function of particles approaching 0 K?

The wave function of particles approaching 0 K refers to the mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle at absolute zero temperature. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a specific location or state.

2. How is the wave function of particles approaching 0 K different from other temperatures?

The wave function of particles at 0 K is different from other temperatures because at absolute zero, particles have minimum energy and are in their lowest possible quantum state. This results in a more defined and predictable wave function.

3. Can the wave function of particles approaching 0 K be observed?

No, the wave function of particles approaching 0 K cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements of physical properties such as specific heat and magnetic susceptibility.

4. How does the wave function of particles approaching 0 K relate to quantum mechanics?

The wave function of particles approaching 0 K is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level and is essential in understanding phenomena such as superconductivity and superfluidity.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the wave function of particles approaching 0 K?

Yes, studying the wave function of particles approaching 0 K has practical applications in fields such as material science and technology. It has also led to the development of technologies such as superconductors and superfluids, which have numerous industrial and technological uses.