Hydraulic pressure dropping bottle

In summary, using pascals principle, the pressure at the bottom of a bottle can be calculated by using the force applied to the top of the liquid, and the area of the bottom of the bottle.
onebad1968
I am attempting to calculate the pressure at the bottom of a bottle at the moment of impact. I have calculated the force of impact ,but now I am unsure if this will be the same force (approx) applied to the top of the liquid to determine the hydraulic pressure at the bottom of the bottle.
In other words I need to find the hydraulic pressure exerted in a bottle, ( a full bottle that has fallen a certain distance).
If i have a bottle full of liquid of given mass falling a given distance.I can calculate the force at which it impacts. But does this help me find the answer to the above question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
onebad1968 said:
I am attempting to calculate the pressure at the bottom of a bottle at the moment of impact. I have calculated the force of impact ,but now I am unsure if this will be the same force (approx) applied to the top of the liquid to determine the hydraulic pressure at the bottom of the bottle.
In other words I need to find the hydraulic pressure exerted in a bottle, ( a full bottle that has fallen a certain distance).
If i have a bottle full of liquid of given mass falling a given distance.I can calculate the force at which it impacts. But does this help me find the answer to the above question?

I suppose you could estimate it by simply dividing the force by the area of the bottom of the bottle. This makes the assumption that the force is distributed evenly across the bottom and the fluid is in contact with the bottom of the bottle at impact.

CS

It would seem to me that the sum of both masses, (bottle and liquid) will make up the total impact at point of outside contact. The liquid inside will gain energy in the fall, but being a liquid will spread it's energy at impact to the inside bottom and all around the inside walls of the bottle, also the gas portion above the liquid would receive some of the energy through compression.

Just don't ask me to do any math:biggrin:

Ron

According to pascals principle.. The pressure applied to the top of the fluid can be calculated by using... (P1 being a force pushing down on the top of the liquid)

p1= Force1/area1... The pressure on the bottom of the bottle p2=p1+static fluid pressure.. and finally the force on the bottom of the bottle F2 = P2 A2. so I still don't know if the calculation of the force at which the bottle hits is relevant to calculating the above or is there another way to do this.

onebad1968 said:
According to pascals principle.. The pressure applied to the top of the fluid can be calculated by using... (P1 being a force pushing down on the top of the liquid)

p1= Force1/area1... The pressure on the bottom of the bottle p2=p1+static fluid pressure.. and finally the force on the bottom of the bottle F2 = P2 A2. so I still don't know if the calculation of the force at which the bottle hits is relevant to calculating the above or is there another way to do this.

Draw a FBD and sum the forces. Then calculated the pressure. There will be a small hydrostatic head pressure plus whatever pressure is generated by the impact force. The hydrostatic head is probably negligible compared to the equivalent impact pressure so you can probably just ignore it. P1 is on the top of the bottle (atmospheric) and on the bottom so it cancels out...ignore it too.

CS

1. What is a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle?

A hydraulic pressure dropping bottle is a device used in scientific experiments to create a sudden drop in pressure within a sealed container. This drop in pressure is created by injecting a small amount of air or gas into the container, causing the internal pressure to decrease rapidly.

2. How does a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle work?

The hydraulic pressure dropping bottle works by using the principle of Boyle's Law, which states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. When a small amount of air or gas is injected into the sealed container, the volume of the gas increases, causing a drop in pressure inside the container.

3. What are the applications of a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle?

A hydraulic pressure dropping bottle is commonly used in laboratory experiments to simulate sudden changes in pressure that occur in natural phenomena such as volcanic eruptions, meteorite impacts, and explosions. It is also used in industrial settings for testing the strength and durability of materials under sudden changes in pressure.

4. Is it safe to use a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle?

When used properly and with appropriate safety precautions, a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle is generally considered safe. However, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when handling the device.

5. How do I choose the right hydraulic pressure dropping bottle for my experiment?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a hydraulic pressure dropping bottle are the volume and pressure range of the container, as well as the materials used in its construction. It is also important to ensure that the device is properly calibrated and meets safety standards for the intended use.