Math or Physics? Advice for 19-Year-Old Pursuing Career

• Math
  • Thread starter h00zah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a 19-year-old looking to pursue a financially rewarding career in either engineering or computer science, as they have a strong interest in math and physics. They are unsure of what topics to study and in what order, but acknowledge that their curriculum will likely determine this for the first two years. They also mention the possibility of a double major in math and physics.
h00zah
I know there are a few other threads here regarding my question, but not specifically the one I have in mind. I am 19 and am currently taking the year off school and am on my own. I have a lot of free time on my hand, and would like to pursue a career that is financially rewarding, to an extent, and will ensure me a job. I know lots of people who have gone down the engineer route and computer science route. Basically, I like maths, and physics, and am willing to dedicate a large portion of my time to achieving a degree. My conundrum is that I have all the supplies, but I don't know how to use it because there is such a wide variety of information to study for different degrees. It's like I have all the puzzel peices but I don't know how to put them together.

Basically, if I want to pursue a career in math, what topics should I study and in what order? Same for physics..

thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I know it's kind of a broad question, and I am expecting broad answers.

To prepare myself for next year, what should I focus on (brush up on) to become an Engineer, Computer Science, in both physics and mathematics.

I think that narrowed my question :]

h00zah said:
IBasically, if I want to pursue a career in math, what topics should I study and in what order? Same for physics..

Your curriculum will more or less set this for the first two years, and it's going to be all the pre-reqs for the upper level courses. As you go further, pre-reqs and your interests will determine the rest of the courses, as will course availability and professors. Order doesn't really matter once pre-reqs are cleared, and schools generally set up their pre-reqs and curricula in a mostly logical fashion. You're going to have the math and physics you need for engineering and comp sci as part of your core requirements, or you won't have physics 'cause you don't actually need it for many fields of comp sci.

If you insist on reviewing stuff, know your basic algebra, geometry, and trig, and any other math up to whatever math course you get placed into. Math & Physics are subjects that tend to be pretty easy to do together, so consider a double major if you're passionate in both.

Last edited:
thank you, story.

1. What career options are available for someone pursuing a degree in Math or Physics?

There are a variety of career options available for individuals with degrees in Math or Physics. Some common options include working as a mathematician, physicist, data scientist, engineer, actuary, or teacher. Additionally, many industries such as finance, technology, and healthcare require individuals with strong math and physics skills.

2. What skills are necessary for success in the fields of Math or Physics?

To excel in the fields of Math or Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are crucial. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important in these fields.

3. What advice would you give to a 19-year-old considering a career in Math or Physics?

My advice would be to take a wide range of courses in both Math and Physics to get a better understanding of the different areas within these fields. Additionally, seek out internships or research opportunities to gain practical experience and network with professionals in the field. It's also important to stay curious and never stop learning.

4. Is a degree in Math or Physics necessary for a successful career in these fields?

While a degree in Math or Physics can provide a solid foundation and knowledge in these fields, it is not always necessary for a successful career. Many employers also value skills and experience, so it's important to gain practical experience and develop relevant skills through internships, research, and self-study.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest advancements and research in Math and Physics?

There are several ways to stay updated on the latest advancements and research in Math and Physics. Reading scientific journals, attending conferences and seminars, and joining professional organizations are great ways to stay informed. Additionally, following reputable sources and experts on social media and subscribing to newsletters can also provide valuable insights and information.