Intersecting Planes: Easiest Way to Make Up Equations

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, the conversation is about finding two equations of planes that intersect at a line. The key is to make sure that the normal vectors of the planes are not scalar multiples of each other in order to ensure they are not parallel. The line of intersection can be found by setting up a system of equations with the two planes and solving for the variables.
cscott
What's the easiest way to make up two equations of a plane that intersect at a line?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you looking for, the equation of the line of intersection? Because "two equations of a plane" doesn't really make sense to me...

TD said:
What are you looking for, the equation of the line of intersection? Because "two equations of a plane" doesn't really make sense to me...

I need two equations (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0) that describe two planes who's intersection point is a line.

Last edited:
Lines which are not parallel intersect with each other. so don't make them parallel. lines are parallel if their slopes are same. so think what have you to change or not to? A, B, C or D

vaishakh said:
Lines which are not parallel intersect with each other. so don't make them parallel. lines are parallel if their slopes are same. so think what have you to change or not to? A, B, C or D

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure how the slope is represented in that form for 3-dimensions.

How do you generally write the equation of a plane?

cscott said:
I need two equations (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0) that describe two planes who's intersection point is a line.
I'm still not 100% sure what you mean but I *think* you mean that you're looking for the equations of two planes which, together as a system, form the equation of their intersection line (assuming the planes weren't parallel). Is this correct?

TD said:
I'm still not 100% sure what you mean but I *think* you mean that you're looking for the equations of two planes which, together as a system, form the equation of their intersection line (assuming the planes weren't parallel). Is this correct?

That is correct! How do I make sure they aren't parallel?

Scott: This is pretty easy!

The only thing u do is make sure both bormal vectors are not scalar multiples of each other... in other words

if P1 = Ax+By+Cz+D
and P2 = Wx + Xy +Yz +Z

then to intesect in a line... [A,B,C] canot equal k[W,X,Y] k is any num

Anton

fomenkoa said:
Scott: This is pretty easy!
The only thing u do is make sure both bormal vectors are not scalar multiples of each other... in other words
if P1 = Ax+By+Cz+D
and P2 = Wx + Xy +Yz +Z
then to intesect in a line... [A,B,C] canot equal k[W,X,Y] k is any num
Anton

Alright, thanks.

Indeed, so with two planes

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\alpha :ax + by + cz + d = 0 \\
\beta :a'x + b'y + c'z + d' = 0 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

the line of intersection is given by

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
ax + by + cz + d = 0 \\
a'x + b'y + c'z + d' = 0 \\
\end{array} \right[/tex]

under the condition that

[tex]\alpha \not\parallel \beta \Leftrightarrow \left( {a,b,c} \right) \ne k\left( {a',b',c'} \right)\forall k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Related to Intersecting Planes: Easiest Way to Make Up Equations

1. What are intersecting planes?

Intersecting planes are two or more planes that share a common point or line. This point or line is called the intersection and is where the planes meet.

2. How do you determine the equations of intersecting planes?

The easiest way to determine the equations of intersecting planes is by finding the point of intersection and then using that point to solve for the coefficients in the equations of the planes.

3. What is the importance of finding the equations of intersecting planes?

Finding the equations of intersecting planes allows us to understand the relationship between the planes and how they intersect. It also allows us to solve problems involving these planes, such as finding the distance between them or the angle of intersection.

4. Can intersecting planes have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, intersecting planes can have multiple points of intersection. If the planes are not parallel, they will intersect at a line. If the planes are parallel, they will intersect at infinitely many points.

5. Is there a specific method for solving problems involving intersecting planes?

Yes, there are various methods for solving problems involving intersecting planes, such as finding the point of intersection, using vectors, or using the distance formula. The method used will depend on the specific problem at hand.