2 blocks connected by a metal pull on an inclined plane

In summary: To find the lift you need to find the surface area of the wing and multiply that by the air density to find the weight of air the wing is supporting. Then you divide that by the wing area to find the lift. In summary, the problem is two blocks are connected by a metal rod and they have different kinetic coefficients of friction. The bottom block provides the dominate force and the top block provides the friction. The problem is trying to find the acceleration of the system and the tension in the rod. Picture 1 in diagram helps illustrate the problem. If you could help with one other problem that would be great.
hannibalisfun
The problem is I have two blocks on an inclined plane. They are connected by a metal rod. The bottom(2) mass provides the dominate force. Fiction is involved. They have different kinetic coefficients of friction. I need to know the acceleration of the system and the tension in the rod. Picture in diagram 1.

If you could provide help on one other problem that would help a lot.

A plane is turning. Yoy know the angle its wings are tilted and its speed. How do you find the radius of the turn? Assume all force come from aerodynamic lift.

Attachments

• Diagram1.JPG
    Diagram1.JPG
    882 bytes · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I didn't know you wanted me show my efforts at the problem. well for the first one most of my work has been finding out what the value of the forces acting on the block are like the frictional force or the force of gravity parallel to the plane for both blocks. Unfortunately I don’t have my work with me or the even the problem it self. For the acceleration I was thinking I could just add the forces of gravity parallel and subtract the 2 frictional force then divided by total mass but I wasn’t sure how tension factors into that. As for the tension in the rod I have no clue as of yet because I have started that part but even a little hint on that part would greatly be appreciated.
As for the plane problem I tried to use the formula for centripetal force, g * cos(angle) for the force, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Also on this problem I I were given a time instead of speed is the problem still solvable.

hannibalisfun said:
Sorry I didn't know you wanted me show my efforts at the problem. well for the first one most of my work has been finding out what the value of the forces acting on the block are like the frictional force or the force of gravity parallel to the plane for both blocks. Unfortunately I don’t have my work with me or the even the problem it self. For the acceleration I was thinking I could just add the forces of gravity parallel and subtract the 2 frictional force then divided by total mass but I wasn’t sure how tension factors into that. As for the tension in the rod I have no clue as of yet because I have started that part but even a little hint on that part would greatly be appreciated.
As for the plane problem I tried to use the formula for centripetal force, g * cos(angle) for the force, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Also on this problem I I were given a time instead of speed is the problem still solvable.
You can treat the two blocks connected by the rod as one object to find the acceleration as you said. Make sure you account for all of the external forces (gravity components and friction) Once you know the acceleration, you can find the tension in the rod by focusing on one of the blocks and accounting for all of the forces acting to give it the acceleration you already calculated.

For the plane the lift does two things. It supports the weight of the plane and it provides the centripetal force required to move the plane in a horizontal circular path

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing objects to be moved from a lower to a higher position with less force.

2. How are the two blocks connected on the inclined plane?

The two blocks are connected by a metal pull, which is a type of rope or string made of metal. This allows the force to be transferred between the two blocks.

3. What is the purpose of the metal pull on the inclined plane?

The purpose of the metal pull is to allow for a transfer of force between the two blocks. This allows the force to be applied in one direction and result in movement in the opposite direction.

4. What role does gravity play in this scenario?

Gravity is responsible for pulling the blocks downwards towards the ground. It is this force that must be overcome by the metal pull in order for the blocks to move up the inclined plane.

5. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force required to move the blocks?

The steeper the inclined plane, the greater the force required to move the blocks. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of gravity pulling the blocks downwards, making it more difficult to overcome.