Question from Problems in General Physics (Irodov)

In summary: So in summary, the question is asking at what angle should the boat move in relation to the direction of the river in order to minimize drifting, with the given information that the boat's velocity is half of the river's velocity.
vijay_singh
Hi

Following is a question from "Problems in General Physics - Irodov". I think I should be able to solve this problem but I don't get a part of the question. Wondering if somebody can clarify what does " velocity which is n=2 times less than the river flow velocity" means is mathematical terms.

Question:

A boat moves relative to the water with a velocity which is n=2 times less than the river flow velocity.At what angle to the stream direction must the boat move to minimize drifting

Physics news on Phys.org
That's just an odd waying of saying: If the river speed (with respect to the ground) is V, then the speed of the boat (with respect to the water) is V/2.

vijay_singh said:
Hi

Following is a question from "Problems in General Physics - Irodov". I think I should be able to solve this problem but I don't get a part of the question. Wondering if somebody can clarify what does " velocity which is n=2 times less than the river flow velocity" means is mathematical terms.

Question:

A boat moves relative to the water with a velocity which is n=2 times less than the river flow velocity.At what angle to the stream direction must the boat move to minimize drifting
From what you have posted I would say that in colloquial terms it simply means that the velocity of the water relative to the bank is twice the velocity of the boat relative to the water.

Edit: I see that Doc got there before me.

Thank you guys. I guess this is what happens when there is literal translation from russian to english.

1. What is the difficulty level of "Problems in General Physics" by Irodov?

The difficulty level of Irodov's "Problems in General Physics" is considered to be very high. It is often used as a reference book for competitive exams and is recommended for advanced learners in the field of physics.

2. Is "Problems in General Physics" suitable for beginners?

No, "Problems in General Physics" is not suitable for beginners. It is designed for students who already have a strong foundation in physics and are looking for challenging problems to enhance their skills.

3. Are the problems in "Problems in General Physics" similar to those in competitive exams?

Yes, many of the problems in Irodov's book are similar to those in competitive exams. This makes it a valuable resource for students preparing for such exams.

4. Is it necessary to solve all the problems in "Problems in General Physics" to understand the concepts?

No, it is not necessary to solve all the problems in Irodov's book to understand the concepts. However, solving a variety of problems can help in better understanding and application of the concepts.

5. Can "Problems in General Physics" be used as a standalone textbook for physics?

No, "Problems in General Physics" is not meant to be used as a standalone textbook. It is best used as a supplement to a comprehensive textbook on physics.