Classes to make math major more employable?

In summary: Other classes you might find useful for your career include Econ, Applied Math, and Statistical Methods.
proton
i'm almost done with my pure math major. i'll likely go to grad school to get phD, but I'm very concerned with job opportunities should i later decide i want to go into industry rather than academia. I've already completed the physics minor, but i doubt having a physics background helps that much. what other classes should i take? CS, applied math, econ, etc? or is my physics good enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math majors can find easy employment with large salaries if they are willing to work in statistics and finance. That's just a backup plan, if you already like pure math after finishing a major then it is almost guaranteed that you will ejoy grad school and a future academic career. The odds of becoming a professor, however, are small so you will need to work hard!

If I were you, I'd try to just become really good at programming. You don't have to take classes for it, though... If you have a math degree and can prove that you have very strong programming skills, you should have no problem finding a job. Also spend a lot of time practicing brain teasers and puzzles... You'd be surprised how far you can get in interviews with very selective finance and trading firms if you just show that you are quick and can go into full blown problem solving mode at the tip of a hat.

Classes in probability and Statistics would serve you well in the working world. And, as has been said previously, strong programming skills will always help you. Otherwise, it really just depends on what kind of industry you would like to go in. If you want to go into physics load up on physics classes. If you want to go into finance, take econ and accounting classes.

is it possible to take prob and stats classes during grad school instead of undergrad?

It will likely be a lot harder to do it in grad school than in undergrad...

proton said:
is it possible to take prob and stats classes during grad school instead of undergrad?

Not likely, since most schools require a course on statistics or probablility as one of their common core courses for a Mathematics undergraduate degree.

how many such classes would suffce? I've only taken 1 semester of probability

proton said:
how many such classes would suffce? I've only taken 1 semester of probability

The best answers would be described in the universities' and colleges' undergraduate Mathematics program information. MOST of them will list a Calculus-based Probability course. It would be considered one of their common core courses for earning an undergraduate Math degree.

What are classes that can make a math major more employable?

Some classes that can make a math major more employable include statistics, computer programming, finance, economics, and data analysis.

How can taking classes in statistics benefit a math major's employability?

Statistics is a highly sought after skill in many industries such as healthcare, marketing, and finance. It involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data, making it a valuable skill for math majors to have.

In what ways can learning computer programming help a math major's job prospects?

In today's digital age, many jobs require some level of computer programming knowledge. Math majors with programming skills can find employment in fields such as data science, software development, and quantitative analysis.

Why are finance and economics classes important for a math major's employability?

Finance and economics are closely related to math and can help math majors gain a better understanding of real-world applications of mathematical concepts. These classes can also open up job opportunities in finance, banking, and consulting.

How does learning data analysis in classes benefit a math major's job prospects?

Data analysis involves using mathematical and statistical techniques to discover insights from large sets of data. This skill is in high demand in industries such as marketing, healthcare, and technology, making it a valuable asset for math majors to have.