Integral of a closed surface over a general region

In summary, the problem is to show that the surface integral of the dot product of a position vector and surface element is equal to the volume enclosed by the closed surface. The suggested approach is to imagine an infinite number of pyramids formed by connecting the center to the vertices of the surface elements, and showing that they make up the enclosed volume. A more detailed mathematical analysis is suggested to be taken to the math forum.
Kwandae
I have been working on this problem for a few hours and am completely stuck. It seems like a simple problem to me but when I attempt it I get nowhere. The problem is:

Show that

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\oint\oint_{S}\vec{r} \cdot d\vec{s} = V[/tex]

where V is the volume enclosed by the closed surface [tex]S= \partial V[/tex]

I have tried to use Gauss' theorem to get as far as

[tex]\frac{1}{3}(\int\int\int_{V}(r_{x}+r_{y}+r_{z})dxdydz)[/tex]

But am completely stuck on what to do from this point or even if I started this correctly. It's been about 2 years since I have done any surface integrals so I was hoping if someone here could maybe give me a helping push in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no one has commented for several hours, so I'll at least indicate I'm interested.
I just think of ds a square element of surface and r a radius from it to some center. The dot product takes only the component of r that is perpendicular to ds. If we imagine more lines from the center to the vertices of the square ds, we'll have a pyramid. It's volume will be 1/3*r.ds. If we continue to picture an infinite number of these pyramids to an infinite number of ds elements making up the whole surface area, we will see that all the pyramids make up exactly the volume enclosed by the surface. So the integral is indeed equal to the volume.

If you need a more mathematical analysis, I suggest you take it over to the math forum.

.I understand the frustration of being stuck on a problem for hours. It can be discouraging, but it's important to remember that sometimes complex problems require time and effort to solve. It's great that you have already attempted to use Gauss' theorem to approach this problem.

To continue, let's break down the steps:

1. Start with the given equation: \frac{1}{3}\oint\oint_{S}\vec{r} \cdot d\vec{s} = V

2. Use Gauss' theorem to rewrite the surface integral as a volume integral: \oint\oint_{S}\vec{r} \cdot d\vec{s} = \int\int\int_{V}\nabla \cdot \vec{r} dV

3. Simplify the expression inside the volume integral using the definition of the dot product: \vec{r} \cdot d\vec{s} = r_x dx + r_y dy + r_z dz

4. Substitute this into the volume integral: \int\int\int_{V}(r_{x}+r_{y}+r_{z})dxdydz

5. Use the fact that the volume V is enclosed by the closed surface S to rewrite the integral as: \int\int\int_{V}1dxdydz = V

6. Putting everything together, we have: \frac{1}{3}\oint\oint_{S}\vec{r} \cdot d\vec{s} = \frac{1}{3}\int\int\int_{V}(r_{x}+r_{y}+r_{z})dxdydz = \frac{V}{3} = V

This shows that the integral of the closed surface over a general region is indeed equal to the volume enclosed by that surface. It's important to note that the factor of \frac{1}{3} comes from the dot product of \vec{r} and d\vec{s}, as it is the sum of the components of the position vector.

I hope this helps to guide you in the right direction. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, as problem-solving is an important skill for a scientist. Good luck!

1. What is the definition of an integral of a closed surface over a general region?

The integral of a closed surface over a general region is a mathematical concept that represents the sum of a function's values over a three-dimensional region. It is used to calculate the total amount of a quantity that is present within the given region.

2. What is the difference between an integral of a closed surface and an integral of an open surface?

An integral of a closed surface is calculated over a three-dimensional region that is fully enclosed, while an integral of an open surface is calculated over a region that is not fully enclosed. This means that the closed surface integral includes the contribution of the surface itself, while the open surface integral does not.

3. How is the integral of a closed surface over a general region calculated?

The integral of a closed surface over a general region is calculated by dividing the region into small, infinitesimal pieces and summing the contributions of each piece. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as Riemann sums or the divergence theorem.

4. What are some real-world applications of the integral of a closed surface over a general region?

The integral of a closed surface over a general region has many practical applications, including calculating the total mass or charge of a three-dimensional object, determining the flux of a vector field through a surface, and finding the electric potential or gravitational potential at a point in space.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral of a closed surface over a general region?

While the integral of a closed surface over a general region is a powerful tool for solving many mathematical and scientific problems, it does have its limitations. For example, it may be difficult to calculate for complex regions or functions, and it may not always provide an exact solution due to the use of approximations in the calculation process.