If n=complex number what values of n in i^n real?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, any number in the form of a+0i is a complex number, even if it is real. This means that there are an infinite amount of real possibilities for n when it is complex. For example, ii is real and (it)^{it}=e^{-t\pi/2}[\cos(t\ln t) + i\sin(t\ln t)] is real for t ln(t) = n pi, n integer. Additionally, using De Moirve's theorem, it can be proven that i^i is real, which also means that i^ai is real for any complex number ai. This holds true as long as n=ai+c, where c is an even number or zero. Therefore,
brandy
would in = an infinite amount of real possibilites if n is complex. considering that 1+0i is still a complex number, or is that wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one example, ii is real. In fact,

[tex](it)^{it}=e^{-t\pi/2}[\cos(t\ln t) + i\sin(t\ln t)][/tex]

is real for t ln(t) = n pi, n integer.

i^n=exp(n log(i))
For the principle branch take log(i)=i*pi/2
i^n=exp(i*n*pi/2)
when will that be real?

i just asked if it would have an infinite amount of possibilites, obviously i have already thought about this and already know some examples of how it will be real. its a yes or no + justification response.

im using De Moirve's theorm and i can already prove that i^i is real. and hence i^ai is real even if its complex and if n=ai+c it will be real if c is an even number or o.

the other part of my question was, can i acurately say that a+0i is a complex number?

brandy said:
i just asked if it would have an infinite amount of possibilites, obviously i have already thought about this and already know some examples of how it will be real. its a yes or no + justification response.

im using De Moirve's theorm and i can already prove that i^i is real. and hence i^ai is real even if its complex and if n=ai+c it will be real if c is an even number or o.

the other part of my question was, can i acurately say that a+0i is a complex number?

Yes. The real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the value of i^n?

The value of i^n depends on the value of n. If n is an even integer, i^n will be a real number. If n is an odd integer, i^n will be an imaginary number. If n is a non-integer or negative, the value of i^n will also be complex.

3. What values of n make i^n real?

The values of n that make i^n real are even integers such as 2, 4, 6, etc. For these values, i^n will be equal to 1, -1, 1, etc. respectively.

4. Can i^n be both real and imaginary?

No, i^n cannot be both real and imaginary. It can only be one or the other, depending on the value of n.

5. How can complex numbers be used in science?

Complex numbers are used in various fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and wave propagation.