Op-amp supply voltages wrong way round.

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, when wiring the circuit the input pins for the positive and negative supply voltages are connected to the wrong pins on the op-amp. This might explain the distorted output signal.
Beer-monster
Hi

I'm somewhat new at this practical electronics stuff. So could use some help.

I'm trying to debug a circuit made by a colleague who has moved on. It's a derivative of a non-inverting amplifier designed to amplify a signal from a generator. It works, to an extent, however the output wave from usually seems deformed in some way usually in the decreasing part of the wave e.g the voltage drop on a square wave having an exponential decrease or stray sinusoids sneaking in.

After going through it again and again the circuit seems to be wired correctly, for the most part, as described in the diagram and properly grounded. The one error I can find is that the input pin for the positive supply voltage is actually connected (via some resistors and capacitors) to the input jack for the negative supply bias.

So, basically, I'm wondering what effect supplying the op-amp with the voltages the wrong way round will have on a circuit. As I stated, the circuit does work to some extent so this can't be disasterous, but could it possibly explain the problems I've been having with the distorted output signal.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Posting a circuit would help.

Beer-monster said:
Hi

I'm somewhat new at this practical electronics stuff. So could use some help.

I'm trying to debug a circuit made by a colleague who has moved on. It's a derivative of a non-inverting amplifier designed to amplify a signal from a generator. It works, to an extent, however the output wave from usually seems deformed in some way usually in the decreasing part of the wave e.g the voltage drop on a square wave having an exponential decrease or stray sinusoids sneaking in.

After going through it again and again the circuit seems to be wired correctly, for the most part, as described in the diagram and properly grounded. The one error I can find is that the input pin for the positive supply voltage is actually connected (via some resistors and capacitors) to the input jack for the negative supply bias.

So, basically, I'm wondering what effect supplying the op-amp with the voltages the wrong way round will have on a circuit. As I stated, the circuit does work to some extent so this can't be disasterous, but could it possibly explain the problems I've been having with the distorted output signal.

Thanks

And what happens when you replace the opamp chip and fix the supply connections and power it back up?

Thank you for your replies. I checked again and turns out the problem is a little more complicated.

How the circuit should be wired is shown below. Now, unlike what I said in my first post, the wires from the sample voltages go into their correct pins on the op-amp i.e -Vs to -Vs and +Vs to +Vs pin. The route they take to get there is wrong.

The -Vs input is connected to the -Vs pin AND to the 33 pF capacitor that leads on to C1 and R4. It should be the +Vs input that is connected to these components and into its own pin. However, the +Vs input is actually connected directly to its op-amp pin as -Vs should be.

I hope that description is clear. Does anybody know if this could explain why the op-amp works but seems to distort the output signal?

Next time I'm in the lab I'll try to rewire and correct for this...hopefully it can't make thinsg worse.:wink:

Attachments

• circuits.jpg
    circuits.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 503
Looking at the spec sheet I found for that amp: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/PA78U_B.pdf I'd say that the circuit you have is right out of the app note, except of course that your schematic doesn't show which pins are what. The extra dangly bits are probably for frequency compensation and could effect the slew and ringing behaviors described, If they are not suited to your signal their values may need to be modified. I'd recommend a careful reading of the specs and perhaps a little bread-boarding time to see if you have the right component values.

1) What causes the supply voltages to be connected in the wrong way for an op-amp?

The supply voltages may be connected in the wrong way due to incorrect wiring or a mistake during installation.

2) What are the consequences of having the supply voltages connected incorrectly for an op-amp?

If the supply voltages are connected in the wrong way, it can cause damage to the op-amp and may result in it not functioning properly.

3) How can I determine if the supply voltages are connected in the wrong way for an op-amp?

You can check the polarity of the supply voltages using a multimeter. The positive terminal should be connected to the positive supply voltage and the negative terminal to the negative supply voltage.

4) Can I fix the issue of having the supply voltages connected incorrectly for an op-amp?

If the op-amp is damaged due to the incorrect supply voltages, it may not be fixable. However, you can prevent this issue by double-checking the wiring and ensuring the supply voltages are connected correctly.

5) Are there any precautions I should take to avoid connecting the supply voltages in the wrong way for an op-amp?

It is important to carefully read the datasheet for the op-amp and follow the correct wiring diagram. Additionally, double-checking the polarity of the supply voltages before connecting them can also prevent this issue.