Probability question - hypergeometric distribution?

In summary: So the probability is very high.In summary, in a scenario where 4 people are sitting around a table and drawing 4 balls each from a bag of 16 numbered balls, the probability of one person (C) having at least one ball higher than another person (A) who has balls numbered 1, 4, 5, and 9 is 0.98. This is calculated by subtracting the probability of C having all balls lower than A's highest ball from 1.
AskingQ
Hi,

I have never quite worked this type of probability question out, so would like some help please.

Imagine this scenario:
There are 4 people sat around a table, A, B, C and D.
A is sitting opposite C, B is sitting opposite D.
There is a bag with 16 balls numbered 1-16.
The balls are randomly drawn so that each person has 4 balls.

Imagine you are A.
And the balls you have are 1,4,5,9.

Now you want to work out what is the probability that C has a ball that is higher than your highest ball i.e. you want to work out whether C has AT LEAST one of 10,11,12,13,14,15, or 16.

Now the way I look at it is that the:
probability of C having ball 10 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 11 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 12 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 13 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 14 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 15 is 1/3
probability of C having ball 16 is 1/3

But I just don't know what to do next. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I would look at it this way. There are 7 balls that beat your 9, and 5 balls that lose. So if C is picking 4 balls at random from the other 12 balls available, what are his chances of not picking a ball that is greater than 9?

Ah. Ok. So basically you're saying that of the remaining 12 balls, the probability that C has at least one ball higher than my highest ball which is 9 is (1 - probability that C has all balls lower than mine).

Which comes to

1 - (5/12 * 4/11 * 3/10 * 2/9) = 1 - 120/11880 = 0.98...

That seems rather high to me, am I making a silly mistake somewhere?

Thanks.

AskingQ said:
Which comes to

Thanks.
You are making a silly mistake thinking it is high - look at the balls that are left and think about which combinations C could have that don't have any balls above 9,

AskingQ said:
Ah. Ok. So basically you're saying that of the remaining 12 balls, the probability that C has at least one ball higher than my highest ball which is 9 is (1 - probability that C has all balls lower than mine).

Which comes to

Thanks.

This is correct. Of the remaining balls, there is only 5 balls that are lower than 9. If C picks 4 random balls out of 12, it's hard for him to always pick out of those 5 which are lower than 9 and get none of the 7 balls that are higher.

1. What is the hypergeometric distribution?

The hypergeometric distribution is a probability distribution that describes the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of draws from a finite population without replacement. It is often used in situations where the sample size is small compared to the population size.

2. How is the hypergeometric distribution different from the binomial distribution?

The main difference between the hypergeometric distribution and the binomial distribution is that the hypergeometric distribution does not assume that each trial is independent. In the hypergeometric distribution, the probability of success changes with each draw, while in the binomial distribution, the probability of success remains constant for each trial.

3. What are the parameters of the hypergeometric distribution?

The hypergeometric distribution has three parameters: N, the size of the population; K, the number of successes in the population; and n, the number of draws from the population. These parameters are used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in n draws from a population of size N with K successes.

4. How is the hypergeometric distribution used in real life?

The hypergeometric distribution is used in various real-life situations, such as quality control in manufacturing, sampling in market research, and genetics. It can also be used to calculate the probability of having a certain number of defective items in a batch, or the probability of having a certain number of red marbles in a bag of marbles.

5. What is the relationship between the hypergeometric distribution and the hypergeometric test?

The hypergeometric distribution is used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of draws from a finite population. The hypergeometric test, on the other hand, is a statistical test that uses the hypergeometric distribution to determine if there is a significant difference between two groups based on categorical data. It is commonly used to compare the proportion of successes in two different groups.