System of 4 equations in 4 unknowns

In summary: So, in summary, the given system of equations can be solved for A, B, C, and D using linear algebra and the solution will have one arbitrary constant, k, which is a given positive real number.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

0 = A+B+D
0 = A-B+C
0 = A exp(k) + B exp(-k) + C sin(k) + D cos(k)
0 = A exp(k) - B exp(-k) + C cos(k) - D sin(k)

Solve for A, B, C, D in the above system. (k is a positive real number)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

1st equation=> D = -A-B
2nd equation=> C = B-A
Put these into the 3rd and 4th equation, we get:
0 = A exp(k) + B exp(-k) + (B-A) sin(k) + (-A-B) cos(k)
0 = A exp(k) - B exp(-k) + (B-A) cos(k) - (-A-B) sin(k)

How should I continue??

Just wondering: In a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns, is it POSSIBLE to have infinitely many solutions? or must the solution be unique?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now you have two equations and two unknowns, so solve one equation for A or B and plug that into the other equation.

w3390 said:
Now you have two equations and two unknowns, so solve one equation for A or B and plug that into the other equation.

But I don't think we can divide by that stuff involoving sin, cos, and exp becuase it may be zero.

Also, I am expecting to have infinitely many solutions because this actually comes from an eigenvalue problem: ODE X'''' = λ X with boundary conditions X(0)=X'(0)=X(1)=X'(1)=0
Here λ=k^4, with k>0
where k is solution cos(k) cosh(k) = 1.
To find the eigenfunctions, I got the above system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns. Since any nonzero multiple of an eigenfunction is again an eigenfunciton, I am expecting the solution of the system to have one arbitrary constant.

Can someone please help??

If you know linear algebra, do it in a matrix. You should be able to get all unknowns A,B,C, and D. k will remain an arbitrary constant.

But I think k here is a FIXED (given) positive real number??

Yes, that's what flatmaster just said: " k will remain an arbitrary constant."

1. What is a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns?

A system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns is a set of four equations that contain four different variables, and the goal is to find the values of each variable that satisfy all four equations simultaneously. This type of system is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to model real-world situations.

2. How do you solve a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns?

To solve a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the equations and personal preference.

3. Can a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns can have one, none, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the nature of the equations and the number of independent variables in the system. For example, if all four equations are independent, the system may have infinitely many solutions.

4. What happens if a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns has no solution?

If a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns has no solution, it means that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfy all four equations simultaneously. This could happen if the equations are inconsistent or if there are too many equations for the number of variables.

5. Can a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns be represented graphically?

Yes, a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns can be represented graphically using four-dimensional coordinate axes. However, this can be difficult to visualize, so it is more common to use algebraic methods to solve these systems.