How Far Is a Point from a Wire Given Current and Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter 1timeuse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, magnetism is a force generated by the movement of electric charges that causes certain materials to attract or repel each other. A magnetic field is created when electric charges move through a material or when magnetic materials are placed near each other. The two main properties of a magnetic field are direction and strength, which can affect matter in various ways. Some practical applications of magnetism include the production of electricity, sound, and medical imaging, as well as its use in household items and data storage.
1timeuse
a long, straight wire carries a current of 52 A. The magnetic field produced by this current at a certain point is 9.0 x 10^-5 T. How far is the point from the wire?

i figured i should be using the equation

F = I L B sin 90

but i can't find the force. any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use Ampere's law to find the field. It's cylindrically symmetric about the wire. The magnetic field will be azimuthal about the wire so the integration is easy to do (integrate around a circle).

Yes, you are correct in using the equation F = ILB sinθ. However, in this case, we are not looking for the force, but rather the distance from the wire. To solve for the distance, we can rearrange the equation to d = F/ILB sinθ. Since we know the current (I), the magnetic field (B), and the angle between the wire and the point (θ = 90°), we can plug in these values to solve for the distance.

d = (9.0 x 10^-5 T) / (52 A x 1m x 90°)
d = 1.73 x 10^-6 m
Therefore, the point is located 1.73 x 10^-6 meters away from the wire.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that is generated by the movement of electric charges. It is the physical property that causes certain materials to attract or repel each other.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created when electric charges move through a material or when magnetic materials are placed near each other. This movement of charges creates a force that can be felt by other magnets or magnetic materials.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has two main properties: direction and strength. The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the orientation of the magnetic poles (north and south), and the strength of the field is determined by the closeness of the magnetic field lines.

4. How does magnetism affect matter?

Magnetism can affect matter in several ways. It can cause certain materials to become magnetic, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel. It can also cause other materials to align themselves with a magnetic field, such as compass needles. Magnetism can also be used to create electricity through electromagnetic induction.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in generators and motors to produce electricity, in speakers and headphones to produce sound, in MRI machines for medical imaging, and in credit and debit cards for data storage. It is also used in many household items such as refrigerators, televisions, and computers.