Should I Take Physics C? - Math-Oriented Junior's Guide

In summary, Physics is interesting, although you should know that you're probably only going to be taught some of the basics in a first year university level course.
zaboda42
I have absolutely no physics experience but decided to take Physics C next year as a junior. Is this a good idea? I am a very math-oriented person and the questions that some people as on these forums interest me a lot. So, is physics really interesting? Or should i not take Physics C?

Physics news on Phys.org
I find Physics very interesting and think that everyone should be at least a little educated in how, to our current understanding, the universe works. I think that you should take the course; however, you should know that you're probably only going to be taught some of classical mechanics, assuming you're in high school.

I concur, physics is indeed interesting, however -as lambda has said- assuming you are in high school, you will not see the real interesting side of it.

You should read scientific american and other sources to see the really interesting physics

Last edited:
I would even add that most high-school physics is rather dull, simply because one lacks the mathematical tools to do some more interesting stuff. This is not entirely true, you can do fun stuff at high school level, and maybe at some places one does so, but my souvenirs of it are terrible: expansion coefficients of heating a copper bar, buoyancy, pulleys, elementary electrical circuits, ...
In fact, the most interesting stuff you can do at high school level is mathematics. Now, maybe it depends on the school and certainly it depends on the teacher. I think I had a brilliant mathematics teacher, and a mediocre physics teacher.

BTW, I moved this to "academic guidance".

The best way to get physics experience is to start by taking a fundamentals of physics course. I have no idea what "physics C" is, but I'm assuming this is a first year university level course.

Whether or not something is "interesting" is a very subjective debate. Some people find rocks interesting. Other people aren't interested unless things are about to explode. As others have said, in a fundamentals course, you will cover a lot of the basics. And as a result, interest will largely come from how much you engage yourself in applying what you learn to external phenomena.

"Science is interesting; if you don't agree you can $#&% off" - R.Dawkins

I remember in my first class in modern physics where the professor was describing relativity for the first time. No one in the class moved. They were riveted by the absolute strangeness and beauty of what he was describing. Physics interesting? Nothing is more interesting!

Alas, there seems to be a big chunk of our society who isn't really interested in see how the world works. I guess you just have to ask yourself if you are interested in learning about how we can describe the world scientifically or more interested in subjective human experience.

1. Should I take Physics C as a math-oriented junior?

It depends on your interests and academic goals. Physics C is a challenging course that covers both mechanics and electricity and magnetism. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a math or science field, taking Physics C may be beneficial. It also demonstrates to colleges that you are willing to take on rigorous coursework.

2. What math skills do I need for Physics C?

For Physics C, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. These math skills will be used extensively in solving problems and understanding concepts in the course. It is recommended to have completed or be currently taking calculus while taking Physics C.

3. How does Physics C differ from other high school physics courses?

Physics C is an advanced level course that covers material at a more in-depth and mathematical level compared to other high school physics courses. It also covers topics such as calculus-based mechanics and electricity and magnetism, which are typically not covered in other physics courses.

4. Will taking Physics C help me with my SAT/ACT scores?

Taking Physics C can help you with your SAT/ACT scores, especially in the math and science sections. The concepts and problem-solving skills learned in Physics C can be applied to these standardized tests, potentially improving your scores.

5. What are the benefits of taking Physics C?

The benefits of taking Physics C include developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, preparing for college-level courses, and potentially earning college credit. It also demonstrates to colleges that you are willing to challenge yourself and have a strong interest in math and science.