Another Polar Coordinates + Integration Question

In summary, what the author is saying is that they are integrating over the region that is the area inside of r = 3 + 2 sin θ and outside of r = 2, working in polar coordinates (r,θ). The limits of integration for θ are unknown, but they will find out when they solve for theta.
Legendre
I came across this example on the net :

We are integrating over the region that is the area inside of r = 3 + 2 sin θ and outside of r = 2, working in polar coordinates (r,θ).

What is the limits of integration for θ?

# I already know the answer. But I have no idea how to arrive at the solution.

# Do I sketch r = 3 + 2 sin θ and r = 2? r = 2 is just circle centered at origin with radius 2. What about r = 3 + 2 sin θ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should plot them. The curves cross where they have equal r values. Set the r's equal and solve for theta. Then, using your picture to see which region is being asked for, set up an integral like this:

[tex]A = \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta_1} \int_{r_{inner}}^{r_{outer}} r dr d\theta[/tex]

Check your picture and be sure you are integrating in the positive direction for theta.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, you should plot them. The curves cross where they have equal r values. Set the r's equal and solve for theta. Then, using your picture to see which region is being asked for, set up an integral like this:

[tex]A = \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta_1} \int_{r_{inner}}^{r_{outer}} r dr d\theta[/tex]

Check your picture and be sure you are integrating in the positive direction for theta.

How do I plot r = 3 + 2 sin θ without resorting to a graphing calculator? (and without knowing that equation represents a Limaçon)

Help! I just got to this site because i am looking for help with wind generators but can't figure out how to start a new thead.

can you help or direct me to where I need to go?

Legendre said:
How do I plot r = 3 + 2 sin θ without resorting to a graphing calculator? (and without knowing that equation represents a Limaçon)

Make a table of values. For every 30 degrees (pi/6) value of theta plot r.

remadl700 said:
Help! I just got to this site because i am looking for help with wind generators but can't figure out how to start a new thead.

can you help or direct me to where I need to go?

At the top of the page click on Physics Forums. Then click on one that looks good for that topic. Then click on the "New Topic" button there at the top.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin (known as the radial coordinate) and an angle measured from a reference direction (known as the angular coordinate).

2. How do you convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas: x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle.

3. What is the purpose of integration in polar coordinates?

Integration in polar coordinates allows us to calculate the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. This is useful in solving problems that involve circular or spiral shapes.

4. How do you calculate the area bounded by a polar curve?

To calculate the area bounded by a polar curve, we can use the formula A = 1/2 * integral of r^2 d(theta), where r is the function that defines the polar curve and the integration is performed over the desired range of theta values.

5. Can polar coordinates be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, polar coordinates can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding a third coordinate, known as the z-coordinate, to represent the height or depth of a point. This is known as cylindrical coordinates.