Time reversal and Coulomb interaction

In summary, the concept of charge being invariant under time reversal can be seen in the example of two like charges placed near each other. In a time-reversed frame, the charges will still move away from each other due to the repulsive interaction, but in a slightly different manner where they first have a high velocity and then come to a stop before accelerating away again. This shows that it is not just the positions, but also the velocities that are affected by time reversal.
krishna mohan
I have read that charge is supposed to be invariant under time reversal.

Now, if I consider two like charges placed some distance from each other, I expect them to repel and go away from each other. In a time-reversed frame, I expect them to approach each other.

Since the separation is not affected by time reversal operation, and since charge is also supposed to be time-reversal invariant, what causes the charges in the time-reversed system to attract?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think a little more carefully about your example. If you place two like charges at rest near each other, they will accelerate away from each other as you say. At first they will have a small relative velocity and later it will be larger.

In the time-reversed situation, the two charges are flying toward each other from far away with a large velocity, which decreases with time until they come to a stop near each other. This is still the motion of a repulsive interaction.

Or, saying it a different way, if you consider like charges at rest near each other (under no external forces) it doesn't matter whether you look forward in time or backward in time. The full scenario would have them flying toward each other, decelerating until they stop, and then continuing to accelerate outward. From the time where they are at rest, the charges will accelerate farther apart whether you look forward or backward in time.

It is not the case that the time-reverse of a repulsive acceleration is an attractive acceleration.

Thanks...I was considering only positions of the final and initial states...as you have pointed out, when I consider the velocities as well then there is no problem...

Thanks a bunch again...:smile:

1. What is time reversal?

Time reversal is a concept in physics that refers to reversing the direction of time in a particular system or process. It is often used in theoretical studies and thought experiments to explore the consequences of reversing the direction of time.

2. How does time reversal relate to Coulomb interaction?

Coulomb interaction, also known as Coulombic force, is the electrostatic force between two charged particles. Time reversal can be applied to the equations that describe Coulomb interaction, resulting in a reversed direction of the force between the particles. This concept has been used in studies of quantum mechanics and particle physics.

3. Can time reversal and Coulomb interaction be observed in the real world?

No, time reversal and Coulomb interaction cannot be directly observed in the real world. They are theoretical concepts that are used in mathematical models and thought experiments to understand the behavior of particles and systems.

4. How is time reversal and Coulomb interaction relevant to modern science?

Time reversal and Coulomb interaction are relevant to modern science as they are used in theoretical studies and thought experiments in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. They provide insights into the behavior of particles and systems and help scientists develop new theories and models.

5. Are there any practical applications of time reversal and Coulomb interaction?

While time reversal and Coulomb interaction may not have direct practical applications, they have contributed to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and particle accelerators. They have also led to new insights and advancements in fields such as materials science and chemistry.