Action of the time reversal operator on the QM wave equation

In summary: This is consistent with the fact that physical quantities are time reversal invariant, as the time reversal operator only affects the time-dependent part of the wave function, not the physical quantities themselves.
qtm912
Homework Statement
Apply the time reversal operator T to the following plane wave equation: Ψ = exp [i (kx - Et)]
Relevant Equations
T[f(t)] = T[f(-t)]
Applying the time reversal operator to the plane wave equation: Ψ = exp [i (kx - Et)]

T[Ψ ] = T{exp [i (kx - Et)]} = exp [i (kx + Et)]

This looks straightforward as I have simply applied the 'relevant equation' however my doubt is in relation to the possible action of operator T on the i in the exponent with which I have assumed the T operator commutes as in this case the i seems to be just a number. But elsewhere in my QM course it was proven that T acting on i switches its sign so it anti commutes. Applying this to the equation above it would lead instead to the result :

T[Ψ ] = T{exp [- i (kx + Et)]}

So in the alternative formulation the T operator acts by setting both : t -> -t and i -> -i

Which of these is correct and if both are wrong what is the right answer?

On a related point, if say 'i ' and 't ' appear together as a product in some quantum mechanical expression, following the latter prescription by switching the signs of the product 'i* t' would leave that expression invariant which would imply time reversal invariance wherever they appeared together in such a form. This was another source of doubt in my mind though I suppose some physical quantities are time reversal invariant and it may be a perfectly ok result.

Related question : it was actually shown that T and i anticommute - but this requires us to treat i as a matrix iI and write TiI T^-1

I am therefore quite confused about how to think about all of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.The correct answer is that T[Ψ ] = exp [i (kx + Et)]. The time reversal operator only changes the sign of the time-dependent part of the wave function, not the imaginary unit i. The reason it is possible to change the sign of the time-dependent part without changing the sign of the imaginary unit is because the time-dependent part is multiplied by i, which does not change when the sign of the time-dependent part is changed. As such, the time reversal operator only affects the time-dependent part of the wave function, not the imaginary unit i.

1. What is the time reversal operator in quantum mechanics?

The time reversal operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that reverses the direction of time in the quantum wave function. It is represented by the symbol T and is used to study the behavior of particles and systems under time reversal symmetry.

2. How does the time reversal operator affect the quantum wave equation?

The time reversal operator acts on the quantum wave equation by reversing the direction of time. This means that the wave function, which describes the probability of a particle's position and momentum, is transformed into its mirror image in time. This can result in changes in the properties and behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of the time reversal operator in quantum mechanics?

The time reversal operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to study the behavior of particles and systems under time reversal symmetry. This is important in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and can be applied in various fields, such as quantum computing and particle physics.

4. Can the time reversal operator be applied to all quantum systems?

No, the time reversal operator can only be applied to quantum systems that exhibit time reversal symmetry. This means that the laws of physics remain unchanged when time is reversed. In systems that do not have this symmetry, the time reversal operator cannot be used.

5. How does the time reversal operator affect the probability amplitudes in the quantum wave equation?

The time reversal operator affects the probability amplitudes in the quantum wave equation by reversing their signs. This means that the probabilities of certain events, such as the position or momentum of a particle, may change when time is reversed. This can lead to different outcomes and behavior of the system.