Translational/Rotation Question (Pulley with a Mass)

• Thread starter dan38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, we used the net torque to find the angular acceleration, and then used the angular acceleration to find the linear acceleration of the mass attached to the outer drum.
dan38
1. Homework Statement
Compound pulley with a mass (10kg) attached to outer drum
R = Outer Radius (250 mm)
r = Inner Radius (150 mm)

Horizontal force of 250 N being applied at edge of inner drum
Friction torque of 7 N m present
Mass of pulley = 20 kg and it has radius of gyration of 160 mm

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I * Angular Acceleration + 10* Acceleration * R = F*r - 7

Where I = mk^2 of the pulley
and Acceleration = Angular Acceleration * R

Basically used these equations and inputted the given values, but still got the wrong answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello, based on the information provided, I believe there may be a few errors in your equations. Here is my attempt at a solution:

1. First, let's determine the net torque acting on the pulley. The only forces acting on the pulley are the applied force of 250 N and the friction torque of 7 Nm. This gives us a net torque of 250 N * (150 mm) - 7 Nm = 368 Nm.

2. Next, we can use the net torque to find the angular acceleration of the pulley. We know that the moment of inertia (I) of the pulley is given by I = mk^2, where m is the mass of the pulley and k is the radius of gyration. Plugging in the given values, we get I = (20 kg) * (0.16 m)^2 = 0.512 kgm^2. Now, we can use the equation τ = Iα to find the angular acceleration, α = τ / I = 368 Nm / 0.512 kgm^2 = 718.75 rad/s^2.

3. Finally, we can use the angular acceleration to find the linear acceleration of the mass attached to the outer drum. We know that the linear acceleration (a) is related to the angular acceleration (α) by the equation a = α * R, where R is the radius of the pulley. Plugging in the given values, we get a = (718.75 rad/s^2) * (0.25 m) = 179.69 m/s^2.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to clarify any steps in my solution.

1. What is a translational/rotation question involving a pulley with a mass?

A translational/rotation question involving a pulley with a mass is a type of physics problem that deals with the motion of an object connected to a pulley system. The object can either be in translational motion (moving in a straight line) or rotational motion (spinning around an axis). The pulley is used to change the direction of the force applied to the object, making it easier to analyze the motion.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of an object in a translational/rotation question with a pulley?

The acceleration of an object in a translational/rotation question with a pulley can be determined by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. In this case, the net force is the difference between the weight of the object and the tension in the rope connected to the pulley.

3. What is the role of the pulley in a translational/rotation question with a mass?

The pulley in a translational/rotation question with a mass serves to change the direction of the force applied to the object. This is because the force applied to the rope connected to the pulley is transferred to the object, causing it to move in the direction of the force. The pulley also helps to reduce the friction between the rope and the object, allowing for smoother motion.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the motion in a translational/rotation question with a pulley?

The mass of the object has a direct impact on its acceleration in a translational/rotation question with a pulley. According to Newton's second law, the greater the mass of the object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that a heavier object will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter object when subjected to the same force. The mass of the object also affects the tension in the rope, which in turn affects the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of translational/rotation questions with a pulley and mass?

Translational/rotation questions with a pulley and mass have many real-life applications, such as in cranes, elevators, and exercise machines. In cranes, pulleys are used to lift and move heavy objects, while in elevators, pulleys are used to change the direction of the cable to move the elevator up and down. Exercise machines, such as weightlifting machines, also use pulleys to change the direction of the force and provide resistance for the user.