How is static torque calculated for constant speed?

In summary: The equations for linear motion and angular motion are similar...Net force = mass * accelerationNet Torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration.All the other equations of linear motion have angular...
NewtonianAlch
The way I have understood it is that dynamic torque involves angular acceleration, while static torque has zero angular acceleration:

α =Δω/Δt = 0

But static torque still has centripetal acceleration with constant speed:

ac = v2/r

where v is linear velocity, and r is the radius

Then F = mac = (mv2)/r

Torque = F . r
Therefore static torque τs = ( (mv2)/r ) . r = mv2Let us consider a wheel of mass 10kg powered through a driveshaft connected to the output of an engine/motor, with a linear velocity of 10m/s (36km/h) on a road.

Using the equation above, the static torque at the wheel due to constant speed:
τs = 10.(102) = 1000Nm

1) What is the gap in my understanding? I do not see how a wheel traveling at 10m/s could possibly generate 1000Nm. If we consider freeway speeds: 36m/s (~130km/h). Then the static torque is 12,960Nm.

2) Say we also consider the actual car attached to the wheel which is moving. Do we need to add the mass of the car (1000kg) to the wheel's mass? So at 10m/s:
τs = 1010.(102) = 101,000Nm

I am guessing no! So what gives?

Engineering news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:
But static torque still has centripetal acceleration with constant speed:

ac = v2/r

where v is linear velocity, and r is the radius

Then F = mac = (mv2)/r
Nope. Centripetal acceleration is perpendicular to angular acceleration.
With ##\ \vec \tau = I \vec \alpha\ ## you can see that angular acceleration and torque are aligned, not perpendicular.

Your Fc holds the wheel together. That usually does not involve work.

Vehicles need torque to a) accelerate and b) overcome friction.

Likes berkeman, Chestermiller and NewtonianAlch
BvU said:
Nope. Centripetal acceleration is perpendicular to angular acceleration.
With ##\ \vec \tau = I \vec \alpha\ ## you can see that angular acceleration and torque are aligned, not perpendicular.

Your Fc holds the wheel together. That usually does not involve work.

Vehicles need torque to a) accelerate and b) overcome friction.

Thank you for your response.
Yes, you are right...I should have considered the direction of the vectors. Centripetal force is pulling inwards and that is not aligned with torque.

I do not understand how there can be no torque at the wheel when it is moving at a constant speed though.

Sure, we need a net torque to accelerate. However there is a force being exerted at the wheels when it is at constant speed right? How do I calculate the torque when there is no angular acceleration?

NewtonianAlch said:
How do I calculate the torque when there is no angular acceleration?
A moving vehicle experiences a force opposite to the direction of motion. There are various sources: rolling friction, and drag from the wind ( more here ). The latter is dominant at higher speeds and is proportional to the square of the speed.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_aerodynamics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

BvU said:
A moving vehicle experiences a force opposite to the direction of motion. There are various sources: rolling friction, and drag from the wind ( more here ). The latter is dominant at higher speeds and is proportional to the square of the speed.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_aerodynamics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

Interesting, so basically what we are interested in here is fluid friction and rolling friction.

If a car is traveling at constant speed, and we somehow managed to suddenly remove fluid friction and rolling friction - there would be a net torque at the wheels and hence it would begin to accelerate right?

To find the static torque at a constant speed, I would need to know the sum of the opposing forces at the wheel (rolling friction + fluid friction).
That is not trivial, as it would vary considerably depending on tyre material, road surface, air density, and of course shape of the car.

If we know the force acting on the wheel at constant speed, then we can also know the static torque at that point in time?

I think it's a mistake to think about static and dynamic torque. Just think about the net torque. If the net torque is zero there in no angular acceleration. If the net torque is non zero then there must be angular acceleration.

The engine of a car tries to turn the wheels in one direction. Rolling resistance, drag bearing friction etc act in the opposite direction. If these sum to zero there is no net torque so no acceleration (but the car can still be moving at constant velocity). If one is greater than the other the net torque is non zero and there must be acceleration .

It might help to know that the equations for linear motion and angular motion are similar...

Net force = mass * acceleration
Net Torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration.

All the other equations of linear motion have angular equivalents.

NewtonianAlch said:
If a car is traveling at constant speed, and we somehow managed to suddenly remove fluid friction and rolling friction - there would be a net torque at the wheels and hence it would begin to accelerate right?

Correct. At constant velocity the net torque is zero. If you remove rolling resistance the net torque on the wheels becomes non zero and it accelerates.

To find the static torque at a constant speed, I would need to know the sum of the opposing forces at the wheel (rolling friction + fluid friction).
That is not trivial, as it would vary considerably depending on tyre material, road surface, air density, and of course shape of the car.

Indeed, these are all factors that affect the power required and hence the fuel consumption. Some can be measured in a wind tunnel.

In some cases you can tow the object and measure the tension in the tow rope but that has its own issues.

If we know the force acting on the wheel at constant speed, then we can also know the static torque at that point in time?

Yes you would know the engine torque because they are equal and opposite so they sum to zero.

1. How is static torque calculated for constant speed?

Static torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The formula for static torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of force application.

2. What is the difference between static torque and dynamic torque?

Static torque refers to the torque required to maintain a constant speed, while dynamic torque refers to the torque required to accelerate or decelerate an object. Static torque does not change as the object rotates, while dynamic torque can vary depending on the speed and acceleration of the object.

3. How does friction affect static torque?

Friction can increase the amount of force needed to overcome static torque. This is because friction creates resistance between two surfaces, making it harder to rotate an object. The amount of friction present also depends on factors such as the type of surfaces in contact and the amount of force applied.

4. Can static torque be negative?

Yes, static torque can be negative. This occurs when the applied force is in the opposite direction of the rotation, resulting in a negative torque value. A negative torque can also occur when the lever arm is pointing in the opposite direction of the force, which results in a negative distance value in the torque calculation.

5. How can I measure static torque?

Static torque can be measured using a torque wrench or a torque sensor. These tools measure the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation, and then calculate the torque based on these values. Another way to measure static torque is by using a force gauge and a protractor to measure the angle of the force being applied, and then using trigonometry to calculate the torque.