Mastering Complex Numbers in Mathematica: A Comprehensive Tutorial

In summary, the student was looking for a mathematically-oriented tutorial on how to work with complex numbers. They found help with conversion to trigonometric functions and with conjugation.
liskawc
so i was kind of wondering if anyone knows of any mathematica tuorials for how to operate with complex numbers (i know how to do it by hand but solving a set of 5 equations all complex just seems suicidal :D )

so any help d be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What about

Solve[{
a^2 + b^2 == -2,
b - 3 c == \[ImaginaryI],
2 c - 3 a == 1 + \[ImaginaryI],
d + 4 == Sqrt[e],
e + a == -3},
{a, b, c, d, e}
]

just as you would solve a normal set of equations?

There's really nothing special at all about using complex numbers in Mathematica.

- Warren

By the way, if the equations are linear, there is nothing suicidal about it. Just write them in matrix form and row-reduce :smile: (the joy of every student)

Oh, and before I forget, you make the imaginary i in Mathematica by typing I (capital i) or [Escape]ii[Escape]

Last edited:
hmm yeah i wish they were linear

well only problem i really got is that i don't know how to conjugate Exp[ i x] or to make shown as Cosx + i Sinx

P.S equations were:
a1 - a2 + b1 - b2

-(20/197) Sqrt[2555] (a2 - b2) Sqrt[-1 + x] +
20/197 Sqrt[2555] (a1 - b1) Sqrt[x]

-a3 exp[20/197 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-2 + x]] +
b2 exp[-(20/197) \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-1 + x]] +
a2 exp[20/197 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-1 + x]]

-(20/197) Sqrt[2555] a3 Sqrt[-2 + x]
exp[20/197 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-2 + x]] +
20/197 Sqrt[2555]
Sqrt[-1 +
x] (a2 exp[20/197 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-1 + x]] -
b2 exp[20/197 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[2555] Sqrt[-1 + x]])

(dunno latex so sry for the uglyness)

Last edited:
you can use ExpToTrig[...] to convert the exponentials to trigonometric functions.

I think there is a conjugation function somewhere...

You'd never guess it... it's called Conjugate[...]
i.e. Conjugate[4 + 3I] gives 4 - 3I

The mathematica help is pretty good, just do a search in the mathematica help browser for whatever you're trying to do, there is probably a function already designed for it.

i think i actually managed it :D did the trig thingy and then used Conjugate (that one was silly obvious /blush)
and i got a result

thank you :)

1. What is Complex Mathematica?

Complex Mathematica is a software program used for advanced mathematical calculations and data analysis. It is commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians to solve complex problems and visualize data.

2. What are the main features of Complex Mathematica?

Complex Mathematica has a wide range of features, including symbolic and numerical computations, graphing and visualization tools, and the ability to handle large datasets. It also has a user-friendly interface and supports various programming languages.

3. How can I learn to use Complex Mathematica?

There are various resources available to learn Complex Mathematica, including online tutorials, textbooks, and workshops. The official Wolfram website also offers extensive documentation and support for users.

4. Can Complex Mathematica be used for real-world applications?

Yes, Complex Mathematica is widely used in various industries for real-world applications such as data analysis, machine learning, and simulations. It is also used in research fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. Is Complex Mathematica suitable for beginners?

While Complex Mathematica can be challenging for beginners, it has a user-friendly interface and offers various learning resources for new users. With dedication and practice, anyone can become proficient in using Complex Mathematica for their mathematical and scientific needs.