Solving Force Questions: Mass, Acceleration & Breaking Force

• Thread starter terpsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: I hope that helped!In summary, the first question involves finding the time needed to stop a 2,000 kg car moving at 80.0 km/hr with a braking force of 8,000 N. The correct equation to use is F=ma, and the time is found to be approximately 5.56 seconds. The second question involves finding the tension needed for a 50.0 cm string to whirl a 1,000.0 gram stone at 5.00 m/s in a circular path. The equation used is F=mv^2/r, but the units need to be converted to m/s, kg, and N for accurate results.
terpsgirl
I'm not sure what equation is used on this particular problem.

How much time would be requird to stop a 2,000 kg car that is moving at 80.0 km/hr if the braking force is 8,000 N?

I know...
Mass 2000 kg
Acceleration is 80.0 km/hr
Breaking force is 8,000 N

What tension must a 50.0 cm length of string support in order to whirl an attached 1,000.0 gram stone in a circular path at 5.00 m/s?

I used the formula F= mv^2/ r

= (1,000.0 g) (5.00 m/s)/ 50.0 cm
= 1,000.0 x 5.00 g*m/s

I wanted to know if I was tackling this question correctly..if not what am I doing wrong?

THX!

Physics news on Phys.org
terpsgirl said:
I'm not sure what equation is used on this particular problem.

How much time would be requird to stop a 2,000 kg car that is moving at 80.0 km/hr if the braking force is 8,000 N?

I know...
Mass 2000 kg
Acceleration is 80.0 km/hr
Breaking force is 8,000 N
80 km/hr is the velocity, not the acceleration. Just use Newton's second law and some kinematics and you should solve this problem easily.

What tension must a 50.0 cm length of string support in order to whirl an attached 1,000.0 gram stone in a circular path at 5.00 m/s?

= 1,000.0 x 5.00 g*m/s

I wanted to know if I was tackling this question correctly..if not what am I doing wrong?
You might want to check the units on that again. I suggest you stick to kg, m, and s.

terpsgirl...for the first problem...use the equation that states that impulse = change in momentum...the equation is:
Force * time = change in velocity * mass.

Think of what the original velocity is, and the final velocity...and u should be able to find the change in the velocity. Basically plug in your results...and solve for time.

for the second problem...i would check ur units...notice what unit ur expressing r in...and look at the units ur measuring speed in. Remeber that u should measure everything in kg's, meters and seconds.

Last edited:
terpsgirl said:

First convert to the correct units.
Car = 2000kg.
Speed = 22.22... m/s.
Braking force = 8000N.

Using F=MA. 8000=2000A, the 8000N force acting against the car will create a deceleration of magnitude 8000/2000, thus, a = -4m/s/s.

U = 22.22..., V = 0, a = -4, t = ?
V = u + at
0 = (200/9) + (-4t)
(200/9) = 4t
t = 5, 5/9 seconds
= 5.56 seconds (2dp)

= 1,000.0 x 5.00 g*m/s

THX!

I haven't studied the concept used in question 2, but the equation looks like it would be effective. However, [always] convert to more useful units. You should be working in m/s, kgs, Ns and M.

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate mass given force and acceleration?

To calculate mass, you can rearrange the formula F = m x a to solve for m. So, mass = F/a.

3. How do you calculate acceleration given force and mass?

To calculate acceleration, you can rearrange the formula F = m x a to solve for a. So, acceleration = F/m.

4. How do you calculate breaking force?

Breaking force is calculated using the equation F = μ x m x g, where F is force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. How do you use force equations in real life scenarios?

Force equations can be used in various real life scenarios, such as calculating the force required to push or pull objects, determining the weight of an object, or calculating the acceleration of a moving vehicle. These equations are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.