Small Notebook Review: Is the 2008 Model Still Worth Buying?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, Alan is searching for a small notebook and has found one he likes from 2008. However, he is unsure if it is worth buying due to its age and high price. He is also concerned about compatibility with his old programs. Other options he has considered include buying a leased unit from eBay or purchasing a newer model with better specifications. Some recommended brands include ASUS and Lenovo. Alan ultimately decides to purchase an HP laptop with an Intel I3-250M processor. He also mentions that he did not find any good deals on used laptops on eBay.
yungman
I am looking for a small notebook. THis is one that I like. But the problem is this is an old one from 2008...which is ooooold! But I like the size. Please tell me whether it's worth buying since it is not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046VYKIM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

One thing particularly good is I have many old programs which I don't know whether they will run on the new Windows 7.

Computer science news on Phys.org
That is overpriced. I would look for a leased unit for resale on ebay.

That doesn't seem like much for the price. For example, the HD is 1/3rd what you'd get today for that price and you'd get a better CPU

That is what I am afraid of. Problem is there are very very few 12" screen. 13.3" is too big, 11.6" is on the small side and you can't find any good ones in $600 to $700 range. The 11.6" all use low speed cpu like the AMD E350

The only other one that is 12.1" is ASUS that use Intel I3-350UM cpu:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I1J80U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
lenovo has some nice 12" models.

also, I'd probably use http://newegg.com" for shopping for computers. Reviews there also tend to be more accurate than those on amazon (on computers/hardware).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just order the HP 4320s with I3-250M 13.3" with 2G DDR3 for $599 and I bought 4G for $42.

The small laptop just bugs me too much, you pay a lot for less performance. I checked on ebay, as usual, people want a lot of money for nothing. I did not see any good deals. Seems like people did research and there is no good deal even to entertaining buying those used one.

Thanks all for your opinions.

Alan

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a notebook?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a notebook are the intended use, budget, size and weight, processing power and storage capacity, and brand reputation. It is important to determine your specific needs and prioritize them to find the best fit for you.

2. Should I choose a traditional notebook or a 2-in-1 convertible?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and intended use. Traditional notebooks offer a more familiar and comfortable experience for typing and working on documents, while 2-in-1 convertibles offer the flexibility of using it as a tablet for entertainment and touch screen capabilities.

3. What is the ideal screen size for a notebook?

The ideal screen size for a notebook is subjective and depends on your needs. For those who travel frequently, a smaller screen size (11-13 inches) may be more portable and convenient. For those who use their notebook for work or entertainment purposes, a larger screen (14-15 inches) may be preferred for better visibility and comfort.

4. How much RAM and storage do I need in a notebook?

The amount of RAM and storage needed in a notebook depends on the type of tasks you will be performing. For basic web browsing and document editing, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage may be sufficient. However, for more intensive tasks like video editing or gaming, 8GB or more of RAM and at least 256GB of storage is recommended.

5. Which brand of notebook is the most reliable?

There are many reputable brands in the market, and the most reliable brand may vary depending on individual experiences and preferences. Some popular and reliable brands include Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Microsoft. It is important to do your research and read reviews before making a decision.