Linus Pauling's General Chemistry

In summary, the second chapter discusses the crystalline structures of copper and iron. Copper's structure is described as a face-centered cubic arrangement with atoms at specific coordinates, while iron's structure is a body-centered arrangement with two atoms at specific coordinates. The stereoscopic image mentioned may be helpful in visualizing these structures, and more information can be found on p25 of the Dover republication of General Chemistry.
cseal
Is anyone able to comment on the crystalline structures in the second chapter? Copper's cubic unit of structure is described as a face-centered cubic arrangement with atoms at coordinates 0,0,0; 0,1/2,1/2; 1/2,0,1/2; 1/2,1/2,0.

The iron cubic unit of structure is described as a body-centered arrangement. There are two atoms in the unit at coordinates 0,0,0 and 1/2, 1/2, 1/2.

Also, what am I supposed to gather from the stereoscopic image? I'm having trouble imagining this spatially even with the diagrams.

Most of the above is a direct quote from p25 in the Dover republication of General Chemistry.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for the response. The difference between the face-centered and body-centered cubic units were troubling me. I referenced my general chemistry text for a more elementary explanation than Pauling's.

Related to Linus Pauling's General Chemistry

1. What is "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry"?

"Linus Pauling's General Chemistry" is a textbook written by Nobel Prize-winning chemist Linus Pauling. It was first published in 1947 and has been a widely used resource for students studying general chemistry.

2. What topics are covered in "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in general chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics, and electrochemistry. It also includes chapters on organic chemistry, biochemistry, and nuclear chemistry.

3. Is "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of chemistry and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It is also written in a clear and easy-to-understand style, making it accessible for students with no prior knowledge of chemistry.

4. How does "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry" compare to other chemistry textbooks?

Many students and educators consider "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry" to be one of the best textbooks in the field. It is known for its thorough coverage of topics, clear explanations, and numerous practice problems. However, like any textbook, it may not be the best fit for every individual's learning style.

5. Is "Linus Pauling's General Chemistry" still relevant today?

While the textbook was first published over 70 years ago, many of the concepts and principles covered are still relevant in modern chemistry. However, it is important to note that new discoveries and advancements have been made in the field since its publication, so some information may be outdated.