Is U the Quotient Topology for Continuous Functions between Topological Spaces?

In summary, the surjective continuous function f is not continuous in the quotient topology U = {H\in Y \mid f^{-1}(H)\in U} given by the set Y and the function f : X \rightarrow Y.
beetle2
Let [itex](X; T ) [/itex] be a topological space. Given the set Y and the function [itex]f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex], define

[itex]U := {H\inY \mid f^{-1}(H)\in T}[/itex]

Show that U is the finest topology on Y with respect to which f is continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering is this implying that [itex]U[/itex] is the Quotient topology?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, it's not a quotient topology. You aren't identifying any points. Suppose you give Y a finer topology than U? Use the topological definition of continuity.

Thanks

Dick said:
You aren't identifying any points.
Yes he is, via the equivalence relation P~Q iff f(P)=f(Q).

So if it is a quotient topology will I need to prove the iff statement

I mean do I have to show that if there is an equivalence relation I need to show that there is a function which is a homeomorhism.

Hurkyl said:
Yes he is, via the equivalence relation P~Q iff f(P)=f(Q).

What is ~ supposed to mean?! f:R->R with the usual topology. f(x)=x^2. You are defining a topology on Y. Of course, f(1)=f(-1). How is 1~(-1)?

Dick said:
What is ~ supposed to mean?!
~ is a symbol denoting an equivalence relation, which I subsequently defined.

For any function f : X -> Y, Ker(f) is the set of pairs (a,b) for which f(a)=f(b).

Theorem (First isomorphism theorem): Ker(f) is an equivalence relation on X. The corresponding set of equivalence classes is canonically bijective with the image of f

For any surjective continuous function f:X -> Y, it's fair to ask if the canonical bijection X/Ker(f) -> Y is a homeomorphism, in which case it would be fair to say that Y has the quotient topology.

Hurkyl said:
~ is a symbol denoting an equivalence relation, which I subsequently defined.

For any function f : X -> Y, Ker(f) is the set of pairs (a,b) for which f(a)=f(b).

Theorem (First isomorphism theorem): Ker(f) is an equivalence relation on X. The corresponding set of equivalence classes is canonically bijective with the image of f

For any surjective continuous function f:X -> Y, it's fair to ask if the canonical bijection X/Ker(f) -> Y is a homeomorphism, in which case it would be fair to say that Y has the quotient topology.

Ok, so it's a quotient in some sense on XxY if I get your drift. I still think this is a bit of a distraction from the gloriously simple approach of just picking a topology strictly finer than U and then showing f is not continuous in that topology.

I wasn't trying to suggest an approach to the problem; I just didn't want him to be misinformed about quotient topologies. (Incidentally, for the OP, the definition Wikipedia gives of "quotient topology" is exactly the topology you wrote... with the extra condition that f is supposed to be surjective)

Thanks for your help guys. In my textbook is says that the quotient topology is the finest. However in my tutorials when ever they talked about quotient topologies they always mentioned something about an equivalence relation. I think this question was meant to make me think about it which I did. Once again thanks

Hurkyl said:
I wasn't trying to suggest an approach to the problem; I just didn't want him to be misinformed about quotient topologies. (Incidentally, for the OP, the definition Wikipedia gives of "quotient topology" is exactly the topology you wrote... with the extra condition that f is supposed to be surjective)

I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying.

1. What is a continuous topology problem?

A continuous topology problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the properties of continuous functions and topological spaces. It involves determining if a given function maps points in one space to points in another space without any breaks or interruptions.

2. How is a continuous topology problem solved?

A continuous topology problem is typically solved by using the tools and techniques of topology, such as open and closed sets, neighborhoods, and limits. It also involves analyzing the continuity of functions and identifying any potential points of discontinuity.

3. What are the real-world applications of continuous topology problems?

Continuous topology problems have various real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model fluid flow, analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, and develop algorithms for data processing.

4. Can continuous topology problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, continuous topology problems can have multiple solutions. This is because there may be more than one way to map points in one space to points in another space without breaks or interruptions. However, some problems may have no solutions if the given conditions cannot be met.

5. What are some strategies for approaching continuous topology problems?

One strategy for approaching continuous topology problems is to start by defining the spaces and the given function, and then analyzing the continuity of the function using topological tools. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the problem.