Prove that a function from [0,1] to [0,1] is a homeomorphism

In summary, we have sets X and Y equipped with the discrete topology, and a function h from X to Y such that for each element in Y, its inverse image under h is open in X. Therefore, h is continuous. Furthermore, every element in Y has a preimage in X, making h onto. Additionally, every element in Y has a unique preimage in X, making h one-to-one. And finally, in the limit as n goes to infinity, X and Y are sets equipped with the finest topology on [0,1], and all the previous claims still hold. Therefore, h is a homeomorphism from [0,1] to [0,1].
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
prove that a function from [0,1] to [0,1] is a homeomorphism
Relevant Equations
prove that a function from [0,1] to [0,1] is a homeomorphism
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.01.20 PM.png

let ##X=\{0,p1,p_2,...,p_n,1\}## and ##Y=\{0,p1,p_2,...,p_n,1\}## be sets equipped with the discrete topology.

for each ##q_i## in ##Y##, the inverse image ##h^{-1}(q_i)=p_i## is open in ##X## w.r.t. to the discrete topology, so h is continuous.

every element y in Y has a preimage x in X, so h is onto.

every element y in Y has a unique preimage x in X. so ##h## is one-to one.

h is continuous, onto, and one to one so it is a homeomorphism from X to Y.

(unsure about this step)
in the limit as n goes to infinity, ##X=Y=[0,1] ## are sets equipped with the finest topology on [0,1] and all the previous claims hold. so ##h## is a homeomorphism from [0,1] to [0,1].

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you are proving the wrong thing. The problem asks for you to prove that such a function,h, exists. You should either construct such a function or you should use some existence theorem to show that there is such a function.

FactChecker said:
I think that you are proving the wrong thing. The problem asks for you to prove that such a function,h, exists. You should either construct such a function or you should use some existence theorem to show that there is such a function.
okay, i think I was supposed to construct a quotient space that is equal to [0,1] and show that h is continuous on [0,1] ?

I would construct an example for ##n=1##. Say ##p_1\leq q_1.## Then you can linearly stretch ##[0,p_1]## to ##[0,q_1]## and linearly compress ##[p_1,1]## to ##[q_1,1].## Since both functions have the same value ##y=q_1## at ##x=p_1## you can concatenate them. The rest goes on by induction.

• Love
Likes docnet
docnet said:
okay, i think I was supposed to construct a quotient space that is equal to [0,1] and show that h is continuous on [0,1] ?
It says to "Prove ... there is a homeomorphism, h". So you need to either construct h or use some other existence theorem to show that h exists.

Likes docnet
Let ##h(t)=q_{i−1}+(\frac{q_i−q_{i−1}}{p_i−p_{i−1}})(t−p_{i−1})##, a linear mapping between the intervals ##[p_i, p_{i+1}]##

required conditions: ##h(0)=0, h(1)=1##, and ##h(p_i)=q_i##/

claim: h satisfies the required conditions for any n.

let n=1, then ##h(p_1)=q_1##. suppose h satisfies the condition for n=k, i.e., ##h(p_i)=q_i## for values of i in ##\{0,1,...,k\}##.Then for ##n=k+1##, ##h(p_i)=q_i## for values of ## i \in \{0,1,...,k,k+1\}## so h satisfies the conditions for any n.

construct concatenations using the natural maps

##f:X/(p_i\sim p_i)\rightarrow [0,1]##
##g:Y/(q_i\sim q_i)\rightarrow [0,1]##

h is continuous because for all open sets in ##Y/(q_i\sim q_i)##, the inverse image is an open set in ##X/(p_i\sim p_i)##.
the inverse of h is continuous because for all open sets in ##X/(p_i\sim p_i)##, there is an open set in ##Y/(q_i\sim q_i)##.
h is onto and one-to one because ##Y/(q_i\sim q_i)## is covered once by the image of ##X/(p_i\sim p_i)##.

so h is a homeomorphism.

Last edited:

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of function that preserves the topological structure of a space. In other words, it is a continuous function that has a continuous inverse.

2. How do you prove that a function is a homeomorphism?

In order to prove that a function is a homeomorphism, you must show that it is continuous, bijective, and has a continuous inverse. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and inverse functions, and by showing that the function maps open sets to open sets.

3. What is the significance of a function being a homeomorphism between [0,1] and [0,1]?

A homeomorphism between [0,1] and [0,1] is significant because it means that the two spaces are topologically equivalent. This means that they have the same topological properties and can be continuously deformed into each other without any tearing or gluing.

4. Can a function from [0,1] to [0,1] be a homeomorphism if it is not bijective?

No, a function from [0,1] to [0,1] cannot be a homeomorphism if it is not bijective. This is because a homeomorphism must have a continuous inverse, and a function that is not bijective does not have a well-defined inverse.

5. Are there any other conditions that a function must satisfy to be a homeomorphism between [0,1] and [0,1]?

Yes, in addition to being continuous, bijective, and having a continuous inverse, a function from [0,1] to [0,1] must also be a closed map. This means that it maps closed sets to closed sets, which is necessary for preserving the topological structure of the space.