Triangle inequality metric space

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that the metric space (X, \theta), defined as \theta(x, y) = \frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1 + K\phi(x, y)}, is indeed a metric space. The conversation has touched on the properties of a metric space, including the triangle inequality, and how to use the fact that (X, \phi) is a metric space to justify showing that \theta is also a metric. There is some confusion about the notation and whether \phi and \theta have been interchanged in some posts, but the main focus is on understanding how to prove that (X, \theta) is a metric space.
beetle2

Homework Statement

Let [itex](X,\theta)[/itex] be a metric space. Take [itex] K > 0 [/itex]and define.

[itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow \real_{0}^{+}[/itex], [itex](x,y)\rightarrow \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

Show that [itex](X,\theta)[/itex] is a metric space.

Homework Equations

can someone please check my triangle inequality?

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\phi(x,z) \leq \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

[itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(y,z)}{1+K\phi(y,z)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)} + \frac{K\phi(y,z)}{1+K\phi(y,z)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]=\phi(x,y)+\phi(y,z)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
apologies if I'm missing something.. but what is [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]?

and shouldn't you be trying to show the triangle inequality holds for [itex]\theta(x,y)[/itex]?

Yeah your right it is a typo the metric space should be [itex](X,\phi)[/itex]

so triangle inequality is

[itex]\phi(x,y) \leq \frac{K\phi(x,)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]
[itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)} + \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]=\phi(x,z)+\phi(z,y)[/itex]

Is it ok now?

boneill3 said:
Yeah your right it is a typo the metric space should be [itex](X,\phi)[/itex]

so triangle inequality is

[itex]\phi(x,y) \leq \frac{K\phi(x,)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]
[itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)} + \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

To show that [itex](X, \phi)[/itex] is a metric space, you need to show:
1) [itex]\phi(x, y) = 0~\text{iff}~x = y[/itex]
2) [itex]\phi(x, y) = \phi(y, x)[/itex]
3) [itex]\phi(x, y) + \phi(y, z) \geq \phi(x, z)[/itex]

Presumably you have already shown 1 and 2 and are working on 3 here (with some corrections).

[tex]\phi(x,y) = \frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1+K\phi(x, y)}[/tex]
In the line above, it should be =, by how phi(x, y) is defined in post #1, although how it is defined is hazy, since phi(x, y) is defined in terms of itself.

How do you get to the next line? What's the justification here?
[tex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}\mid[/tex]

I hope this clears it up. Sorry I'm not to good at latex.

Let[itex](X,\phi)[/itex]be a metric space. Take [itex] K > 0 [/itex]and define.
[itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow \real_{0}^{+}[/itex],[itex](x,y)\rightarrow\frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

show that [itex](X,\theta)[/itex]is a metric

so the triangle inequality
[itex]\theta(x,y) = \frac{K\phi(x,)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]
[itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)}\mid + \mid

\frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]
[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)} +

\frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

My justification is because I was given that [itex](X,\phi)[/itex] was a metric

space, we know that [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex] is non negative. That in turn with [itex]

K > 0 [/itex] ensures that [itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow

\real_{0}^{+}[/itex] is a well defined non negative function.

Last edited:
It suppose to be
show
[itex](X,\theta)[/itex]
is a mertic

OK, I think I understand what you're trying to say, now. You are given that [itex](X, \phi)[/itex] is a metric space (which means that [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric).

There is another function [itex]\theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex]: X x X --> [0, [itex]\infty[/itex]), with K > 0 and
[tex]\theta(x, y) = \frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1 + K\phi(x, y)}[/tex]

You are trying to show that [itex]\theta[/itex] is a metric (not mertic), which is the same as saying that [itex](X, \theta)[/itex] is a metric space. (A metric space is a set together with a function that measures distance between elements of the set.) Part of the definition of a metric is that it is nonnegative, so you don't need the absolute values. The other parts of the definition I showed in post 5.

Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric, it satisfies the triangle inequality. I see that you are trying to work this into your proof, but what you have doesn't look right to me. Certainly you can say that [itex]\phi(x, y) \leq \phi(x, z) + \phi(z, y)[/itex], but you also have [itex]\phi(x, y)[/itex] in the denominator, and you can't just substitute things in directly. Getting this right will require some more thought.

i think Mark's onto it now, but i have to say the fact that there are 2 different posters & theta and phi have been interchanged (incorrectly as i read it now) in every post has made it pretty confusing...

Mark44 said:
but you also have [itex]\phi(x, y)[/itex] in the denominator, and you can't just substitute things in directly. Getting this right will require some more thought.

Sorry I'm getting lost here. Do I need to somehow get [itex]\phi(x, y)[/itex] out of the denominator?

You can use the fact that [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric to say this:
[tex]K\phi(x, y) \leq K\phi(x, z) + K\phi(z, y)[/tex]

because [itex]\phi[/itex] satisfies the triangle inequality.

But you can't just say that
[tex]\frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1+K\phi(x, y)} \leq \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)} + \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}[/tex]

without some justification, particular regarding those denominators.

But isn't the justification that if K >0 and
[tex]K\phi(x, y) [/tex] is a metric that's non negative

That it can't be > [tex] \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)} + \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}[/tex]?

You've got that the denominator = at least 1. So if x = z the function is 0.

No, there's more to it than that. And it's not [itex]K\phi(x, y) [/itex] that is a metric - [itex]\phi [/itex] is a metric, so [itex]\phi(x, y) \geq 0[/itex] for any x and y in X.

It's easy enough to show that [itex]\theta(x, y) \geq 0 [/itex] because of how [itex]\theta(x, y)[/itex] is defined.

Have you already proved that [itex]\theta(x, y) = 0[/itex] iff x = y? Have you already proved that [itex]\theta(x, y) = \theta(y, x)[/itex]?

If so, then you still need to prove that [itex]\theta(x, y) \leq \theta(x, z) + \theta(z, y)[/itex]. The expression you have in post #13 is equal to [itex]\theta(x, z) + \theta(z, y)[/itex]. You need to show that this value is >= [itex]\theta(x, y)[/itex].

@boneill3: Can you explain in more detail what is confusing you? It took some work, but I've convinced myself that θ is a metric.

1. What is the triangle inequality in a metric space?

The triangle inequality in a metric space is a fundamental property that states that the distance between any two points in the space is always less than or equal to the sum of the distances between those points and a third point. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is always a straight line.

2. How is the triangle inequality used in mathematics?

The triangle inequality is used in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, analysis, and topology. It is a key property in the study of metric spaces, which are mathematical structures that define distances between objects. It is also commonly used in proofs and calculations involving triangles and other geometric shapes.

3. What is the significance of the triangle inequality in real life?

The triangle inequality has many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as transportation and logistics. For example, the triangle inequality can be applied to optimize travel routes, minimize delivery times, and determine the shortest path between two locations.

4. How does the triangle inequality relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a special case of the triangle inequality, where the third point is exactly halfway between the two given points. In this case, the distance between the two points is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the distances between each point and the third point. This relationship is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry.

5. Can the triangle inequality be violated in any metric space?

No, the triangle inequality is a fundamental property of all metric spaces and cannot be violated. If the triangle inequality is not satisfied, the space is not considered a metric space. Violations of the triangle inequality can also lead to contradictions and inconsistencies in mathematical proofs and calculations.