Dispersion Relation: What is it for Photons?

In summary, the dispersion relation is the relationship between the frequency and wave number for all waves, including light. For photons specifically, the dispersion relation is given by \omega=|\vec k|c. This determines the phase speed and index of refraction of light in a specific material or medium.
yellowgold
What is the dispersion relation in photons? "(Frequency momentum or etc)

Physics news on Phys.org
A dispersion relation is the relation between the frequency omega and the wave number k.

Or, said in another way, how the phase speed of light (and hence, the index of refraction) depends on the light's frequency in that specific material/medium.

lightarrow, why restrict yourself to light? The dispersion relation are for waves, all waves, as far as I have understood it.

malawi_glenn said:
lightarrow, why restrict yourself to light? The dispersion relation are for waves, all waves, as far as I have understood it.
Ah, yes, of course, but the OP asked about photons.

lightarrow said:
Ah, yes, of course, but the OP asked about photons.

haha yeah now I saw he did! ;-)
Though he asked what dispersion relation was "in general"

The dispersion relation for photons is
[tex]\omega=|\vec k|c.[/tex]

Thank you very much everybody. I understood it.

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave, which describes how the wave propagates through a medium.

2. How does the dispersion relation apply to photons?

The dispersion relation for photons describes the relationship between their energy and momentum, which is related to their frequency and wavelength.

3. Why is the dispersion relation important for studying photons?

The dispersion relation is important because it allows us to understand the properties and behavior of photons, such as their speed and how they interact with matter.

4. Can the dispersion relation be applied to all types of photons?

Yes, the dispersion relation can be applied to all types of photons, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and even radio waves.

5. How is the dispersion relation used in practical applications?

The dispersion relation is used in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and spectroscopy to design and analyze devices that use light, such as lenses, fiber optic cables, and sensors. It is also used in the study of cosmology and the behavior of light in the universe.