Why do online Indian physics lectures

In summary, this man is an accomplished professor and has two children who both went to IIT and are currently professors at MIT.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
have such awesome intros?

anybody can translate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its a prayer in sanskrit. I don't know what exactly it says, but its a fairly common hindu prayer. Om is the unversal energy, radhey refers to radhey krishna (I think).

"Om Sahanaa Vavatu Sahanau Bhunaktu
Saha Veeryam Karavaavahai
Tejasvi Naavadheetamastu Maa Vidvishaavahai
Om Shantih Shantih Shantih"

Meaning: The literal meaning of this mantra is: "OM. Let all of us protect each other together, may all of us enjoy together, may all of us work together and let our study become radiant. Let there be no hatred between us, OM Peace, Peace, Peace"

i do not know if it is relevant to what he is teaching or why is it being played in the intro...

I'd add: ॐ शांति शांति शांति (Om, Shantih, Shantih, Shantih) is a traditional end to such prayers. It may be his equivalent of, "god bless", in this usage.

That's Balki. I took a course under him. He's AWESOME!

Gokul43201 said:

Lucky. I very much enjoy his pedagogical approach.

thorium1010 said:
"Om Sahanaa Vavatu Sahanau Bhunaktu
Saha Veeryam Karavaavahai
Tejasvi Naavadheetamastu Maa Vidvishaavahai
Om Shantih Shantih Shantih"

Meaning: The literal meaning of this mantra is: "OM. Let all of us protect each other together, may all of us enjoy together, may all of us work together and let our study become radiant. Let there be no hatred between us, OM Peace, Peace, Peace"i do not know if it is relevant to what he is teaching or why is it being played in the intro...

The mantra sounds very much like an international academic philosophy to me. Peace and progress.

Pythagorean said:
The mantra sounds very much like an international academic philosophy to me. Peace and progress.

Hmmm, you may like this:

असतो मा सद्गमय
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
मृत्योर् मा अमृतं गमय
ॐ शांति शांति शांति

"Asato maa sadgamaya.
Tamaso maa jyotirgamaya.
Mṛityor maa amṛitan gamaya.
Om shaanti shaantih shaantih."

"Lead me from the unreal to the real.
Lead me from the darkness to light.
Lead me from death to immortality.
Om peace, peace, peace.
— Brihadaranyaka Upanishads (1.3.28)

The first two lines are to me, the motto of the Skeptic.

In his reflections on the Waste Land, T S Eliot describes the word 'Shantih' as "the Peace which passeth understanding". Helen Keller, not terribly fond of passivism, is said to have expressed a strong reaction to this: "I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace."

Gokul43201 said:
In his reflections on the Waste Land, T S Eliot describes the word 'Shantih' as "the Peace which passeth understanding". Helen Keller, not terribly fond of passivism, is said to have expressed a strong reaction to this: "I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace."

If anyone has that perfect understanding, I suspect they're dead and my view of the universe is very wrong.

Gokul43201 said:

Gokul, are you from IIT?

Yes, it's been a while though.

jobyts said:
Just googled to find the professor's details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V._Balakrishnan_(physicist))

2 children, both did undergrad at IIT, and at present, professors at MIT. Must be a proud parent.

Ecstatic I'd guess... wow, those must be some great genes and parenting techniques.

1. Why are online Indian physics lectures becoming popular?

Online Indian physics lectures are becoming popular due to the convenience and accessibility they offer. With the rise of technology, it has become easier for individuals to access educational content from anywhere in the world. Online lectures also offer a wide range of topics, allowing students to choose the specific subject they want to learn about. Additionally, Indian physics lectures are known for their quality and in-depth explanations, making them a preferred choice for students.

2. What are the advantages of attending online Indian physics lectures?

The advantages of attending online Indian physics lectures include flexibility in schedule, cost-effectiveness, and the ability to learn from top-notch professors. Online lectures also provide a platform for students to interact with others from different backgrounds and engage in discussions, which can enhance their learning experience. Moreover, online lectures often offer resources such as recorded videos and additional study materials, which can be beneficial for students.

3. How do online Indian physics lectures compare to traditional classroom lectures?

Online Indian physics lectures and traditional classroom lectures have their own set of advantages. Online lectures provide flexibility in terms of schedule, allowing students to access the content at their convenience. Traditional classroom lectures, on the other hand, offer face-to-face interaction with the professors, which can be beneficial for students who prefer a more hands-on approach to learning. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's learning style and preferences.

4. Are online Indian physics lectures suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, online Indian physics lectures are suitable for all levels of students, from beginners to advanced learners. These lectures offer a variety of topics and difficulty levels, allowing students to choose the level that best suits their needs. Additionally, most online lectures provide resources and support to help students understand the concepts at their own pace.

5. How can one ensure the credibility of online Indian physics lectures?

To ensure the credibility of online Indian physics lectures, one should check the credentials of the professor or institution offering the lectures. It is also helpful to read reviews and feedback from previous students. Additionally, students can cross-check the information provided in the lectures with other reliable sources to verify its accuracy.