The Feynman Lectures: Physics Gift for Your Son

In summary, a father shares that his son put "The Feynman Lectures in Physics" on his gift list and his wife ended up buying them for him as an anniversary gift. The father mentions that he already has a set gifted by a retiree who couldn't find anyone else interested in them. He also adds that the lectures are among his favorite books and that he loves Feynman, even though he doesn't always agree with him.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When your son puts "The Feynman Lectures in Physics" on his gift list.

• Haha
Likes rsk, jtbell, OmCheeto and 11 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Guess what my wife bought me for our anniversary?

Feynman.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, rsk and 8 others
Dr. Courtney said:
When your son puts "The Feynman Lectures in Physics" on his gift list.
You raised him well!

jrmichler said:
Guess what my wife bought me for our anniversary?

View attachment 293164
I have the same set. A retiree gave them to me, since he couldn't think of anyone who would want time them. His kids weren't interested. :frown:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, sysprog and Dr. Courtney
Astronuc said:
A retiree gave them to me, since he couldn't think of anyone who would want them. His kids weren't interested.
Probably a common lament of very specialized people.

Likes sysprog
My ex gifted me a set of the lectures. Of all my books, they rank amongst my favorites and the first to grab in a fire.

[Mentor Note -- post edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sysprog
I love Feynman. I don't always agree with him. Perhaps there could be some coffehouse discussion topics about such things.

I remember once arriving in a new school and finding a set of these in my classroom. Like winning the lottery.

Likes Astronuc

1. What are "The Feynman Lectures: Physics Gift for Your Son"?

The Feynman Lectures are a series of three textbooks on physics written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. They are intended for undergraduate students and cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Why are "The Feynman Lectures" considered a great gift for a son interested in physics?

These lectures are highly regarded for their clear and engaging explanations of complex physics concepts. They are a great resource for anyone interested in learning about the fundamentals of physics, and can be especially beneficial for a son who is passionate about the subject.

3. Are "The Feynman Lectures" suitable for all ages?

The lectures were originally intended for undergraduate students, but they can also be enjoyed by younger students who have a strong interest in physics. However, some concepts may be more difficult for younger readers to grasp.

4. Do I need a background in physics to understand "The Feynman Lectures"?

While a basic understanding of math and physics can be helpful, the lectures are written in a way that is accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of the subject. Feynman's clear and engaging explanations make the material easier to understand for all readers.

5. Can "The Feynman Lectures" be used as a textbook for a physics course?

Yes, these lectures are often used as a primary textbook for introductory physics courses at the undergraduate level. They offer a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the subject and have been used by many renowned universities around the world.