Maxwell's Equations: B-field induced from changing E-field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a parallel plate capacitor with circular plates and a sinusoidal potential difference applied across the plates. The goal is to find the amplitude of the induced magnetic field at a distance of 13 mm from the center axis joining the plates. The conversation also includes equations such as Maxwell-Ampere and the attempt at a solution which involves finding the electric field and using it to calculate the magnetic field.
Bryon

Homework Statement

Parallel plate capacitor with circular plates with radius of 26mm and a plate separation of 6mm. A sinusiodal potential difference is applied across the capacitors plates with Vmax = 170V at a frequency of 60Hz.

170sin(2*pi*60Hz*t)

Homework Equations

V = ∫E∙dl = El (l is the distance)

Maxwell-Ampere
∫B∙dl = u0(I + ε0(dΦe/dt))

A = pi*r^2

e/dt = dEA/dt = A(dE/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

B2*pi*r = u00*A(dE/dt)

E = 170sin(2*pi*60Hz*t)/(0.003)V/M (I used the distance between the plates to find the e-field).

dE/dt 170sin(2*pi*60Hz) = 20400*pi*cos(120*pi*t)/(0.003)

∫B∙dl = B*2*pi*r

B*2*pi*0.013 = u00*(pi*0.026^2)* 20400*pi*cos(120*pi*t)/(0.003)

B = 6.17711x10^-12 T

I thought I was on the right track, but it turns out that this was not correct. I think this was my best approach to the problem and at this point I do not know what else to try. I have a feeling that the electric field is not correct but I do not see what is wrong with it. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I know, its a toughy, but I figured a second pair of eyes could point me in the right direction.

Wow, no one. Well, at least I am not alone! lol

You didnt state what you are solving for. I am assuming the maximum strength of the b field?

Thanks! I was forgetting something. lol. I also noticed I made another error when I copied it over from my work...Yeah, I'm frustrated with this one and all the others problems that are asking about the magnetic field.

(a) What is amplitude of the induced magnetic field a distance 13 mm from the center axis joining the plates?

B2*pi*r = u0 *ε0*A(dE/dt)

E = 170sin(2*pi*60Hz*t)/(0.003)V/M (I used the distance between the plates to find the e-field).

dE/dt 170sin(2*pi*60Hz) = 20400*pi*cos(120*pi*t)/(0.006) <---should be 6mm instead of the 3mm
∫B∙dl = B*2*pi*r

B*2*pi*0.013 = u0 *ε0*(pi*0.026^2)* 20400*pi*cos(120*pi*t)/(0.006)

B = 9.83117439x10^-13 T

Last edited:

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions with charged particles.

2. What is the B-field induced from changing E-field?

The B-field induced from changing E-field is a result of one of Maxwell's Equations, specifically Faraday's law of induction. This law states that a changing electric field will induce a magnetic field, and vice versa.

3. How does the B-field induced from changing E-field affect charged particles?

The B-field induced from changing E-field can affect charged particles by exerting a force on them. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for many electromagnetic phenomena, such as the movement of electrons in a wire or the deflection of charged particles in a particle accelerator.

4. Are Maxwell's Equations applicable to all situations?

No, Maxwell's Equations are only applicable in certain scenarios, specifically in the realm of classical electromagnetism. In extreme cases, such as at the quantum level or in situations involving high energies, other theories and equations may be necessary.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's Equations have a wide range of applications in technology, including the design and function of electronic devices, communication systems, and power grids. They are also essential in understanding natural phenomena, such as the behavior of lightning, the aurora borealis, and the Earth's magnetic field.