X-rays diffraction in a solid, Bragg's law

In summary, the X-rays diffraction diagram of a cubic crystal with a wavelength of 1.54 x 10^-10m shows lines at 2 delta angles of 31.47º, 39.74º, 47.58º, 64.71º, and 77.59º. The crystal structure, Miller indices of the diffractive planes, and the parameter of the net need to be determined. The formula \left ( \frac{\lambda }{2a } \right )^2 =\frac{sin ^2 (\theta )}{h^2+k^2+l^2} can be used to solve the problem, but it may require testing multiple values for h,
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The X-rays diffraction diagramm of a cubic crystal shows lines for the following angles [itex]2 \delta = 31.47º[/itex], 39.74º, 47.58º, 64.71º and 77.59º when the X-rays have a wavelength of [itex]1.54 \times 10 ^{-10}m[/itex].
Determine the crystal stucture of the net, the Miller indices of the diffractive planes and the parameter of the net.

Homework Equations

[itex]\left ( \frac{\lambda }{2a } \right )^2 =\frac{sin ^2 (\theta )}{h^2+k^2+l^2}[/itex] where h, k and l are Miller indices.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I am not sure what they mean by "2 delta's". Second, it's the first time I'm asked to solve such an exercise and I've thought on it and I don't see a direct way to solve the problem, because I don't know the "parameter of the net", which I guess is "a" in the formula, nor do I know h, k and l.
So I've started a try. I've tested for a bcc crystal structure and the test resulted in a negative answer. Please tell me if my approach is correct.
I considered the angle \theta = 31.47º. From the given formula, I get [itex]a = \frac{\lambda }{\sin \left ( \frac{31.47}{2} \right ) } \approx 5.68 \times 10 ^{-10}m[/itex]. I considered h=2, k=l=0 because in a bcc crystal, h+k+l must be even.
I then tried h=k=2 and l=0 and I took the value of "a" I just obtained in order to see if I could find an angle close to 39.74º but I reached a value for theta of about 22.55º.
I realize that there are infinitely many other possibilities for the values of h, k and l for a bcc crystal structure so that I can't really affirm that the crystal isn't bcc. So how do I solve the problem? Should I work out a lot of possible values for h, k and l?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to find the correct values of h, k and l without trying all possibilities? Thank you very much in advance.

1. What is X-ray diffraction in a solid?

X-ray diffraction in a solid refers to the process of using X-rays to study the internal structure of a solid material. When X-rays are directed at a solid, they are diffracted or scattered in different directions depending on the atomic arrangement of the material. This allows for the determination of the crystal structure of the solid.

2. What is Bragg's law?

Bragg's law is a mathematical equation that relates the angle of diffraction, the wavelength of the X-rays, and the distance between atomic planes in a crystal. It is represented as nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is an integer, λ is the wavelength of the X-rays, d is the distance between atomic planes, and θ is the angle of diffraction. This law is used to determine the crystal structure of a solid material.

3. How does X-ray diffraction in a solid work?

In X-ray diffraction, a beam of X-rays is directed at a solid material. The X-rays interact with the atoms in the material and are scattered in different directions depending on the atomic arrangement. The scattered X-rays are then detected by a detector, which records the diffraction pattern. This pattern is then analyzed using Bragg's law to determine the crystal structure of the material.

4. What are the applications of X-ray diffraction in solids?

X-ray diffraction in solids has numerous applications in various fields such as material science, geology, and biology. It is used to determine the crystal structure of materials, identify unknown substances, and study the atomic arrangement of molecules in proteins and DNA. It is also used in the development of new materials and drugs.

5. What are the limitations of X-ray diffraction in solids?

While X-ray diffraction is a powerful tool for studying the structure of solids, it does have some limitations. It can only be used on crystalline materials, meaning that the atoms must be arranged in a repeating pattern. It also cannot provide information about the arrangement of atoms in amorphous materials. Additionally, X-ray diffraction requires specialized equipment and trained personnel, making it a relatively expensive and time-consuming technique.