Looking to Get Back Into Maths & Physics - Where to Start?

• Thread starter FeynmansFumble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: However, it's very unlikely that you will be able to do A Levels again and then start a maths or physics degree course at uni - you would have to take a few years out and then start again. You could read some popular science books on the subject such as Peter Atkins' The Elegant Universe or Steven Weinberg's Dreams of a Final Theory. Alternatively, you could read more mathematical texts such as Feynman's Six Easy Pieces or A Very Short Introduction to Particle Physics.
FeynmansFumble
I'm 18. At school, maths and physics never really interested. In fact, I didn't really know what it was all about, or even properly realized that it had real world consequences. However, since leaving I've regained my childhood love of maths and physics particularly. I would love to study it at university, hopefully combined with (analytic) philosophy. I have two main questions: first, considering that my grounding is very poor, I would most likely have to redo my Maths and Physics GCSEs to even start upon A Levels. In light of this, is it somewhat quixotic of me to aspire to do it at degree level? Secondly, if it does seem a realistic possibility, where should I start? What books should I read to prepare me? I've read popular science books my Peter Atkins which touch on this stuff, as well as Feynman's 'Six Easy Pieces' and 'A Very Short Introduction to Particle Physics', but I feel as if I need to challenge myself with mathematical equations. Any help/advice is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you take math classes at a local college, or maybe Open University?

You need to start with math, IPO. Not only will you need it for the physics you'll take in the future, it's like calisthenics for your brain. If you've been out of school for a while, math is a great way to get back in shape.

But don't start at where you *want* to start. Go back and review things you already studied. I'm not familiar with the UK system, is there a place where you can go take a placement test?

FeynmansFumble said:
I'm 18. At school, maths and physics never really interested. In fact, I didn't really know what it was all about, or even properly realized that it had real world consequences. However, since leaving I've regained my childhood love of maths and physics particularly. I would love to study it at university, hopefully combined with (analytic) philosophy. I have two main questions: first, considering that my grounding is very poor, I would most likely have to redo my Maths and Physics GCSEs to even start upon A Levels. In light of this, is it somewhat quixotic of me to aspire to do it at degree level? Secondly, if it does seem a realistic possibility, where should I start? What books should I read to prepare me? I've read popular science books my Peter Atkins which touch on this stuff, as well as Feynman's 'Six Easy Pieces' and 'A Very Short Introduction to Particle Physics', but I feel as if I need to challenge myself with mathematical equations. Any help/advice is appreciated!

You are unlikely to be accepted onto a full-time maths or physics degree course without decent A-levels in Maths and Further Maths or Physics (preferably all three). And it will be very difficult to get decent A-levels in Maths, Further Maths or Physics if you don't have a good understanding of the corresponding GCSE material.

The OU's maths and physics degree courses don't impose formal entry requirements, so they may be worth looking at. There may also be relevant access modules which might later lead into a degree course.

Redoing your Maths GCSE if you don't have at least a C is a good idea anyway, as it will improve your prospects of getting a job.

1. How do I know if I am ready to get back into studying Maths and Physics?

The best way to determine if you are ready to dive back into Maths and Physics is to assess your current knowledge and skills in the subjects. Start by reviewing fundamental concepts and see if you can still understand and apply them. You can also take online diagnostic tests to evaluate your current level of understanding.

2. Is it possible to catch up on years of missed math and physics education?

Yes, it is possible to catch up on missed education in Maths and Physics. It may take some time and effort, but with dedication and a structured study plan, you can cover the necessary material and fill in any knowledge gaps that may have arisen.

3. What resources are available for someone looking to get back into Maths and Physics?

There are plenty of resources available for those looking to get back into Maths and Physics. You can find online courses, textbooks, practice problems, and even tutoring services to help you refresh your knowledge and skills.

4. How should I structure my study plan to get back into Maths and Physics?

Creating a structured study plan is crucial for getting back into Maths and Physics. Start by identifying your goals and setting a realistic timeline to achieve them. Then, break down the material into manageable chunks and allocate time for regular practice and review. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or tutor.

5. How can I stay motivated while getting back into Maths and Physics?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but it is crucial for success in studying Maths and Physics. Set small achievable goals, celebrate your progress, and remind yourself of the reasons why you want to learn these subjects. It can also be helpful to join study groups or find a study partner to keep you accountable and motivated.