Melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the final masses of ice and water when 0.500kg of ice at -5.00°C is mixed with 1.80kg of water at 17.00°C, resulting in a mixture at 0.00°C. The specific heat of ice is 2.04kJ/kg*K and the latent heat of fusion is 335kJ/kg. The first step is to find the heat lost by the ice, which is equal to its mass (unknown) multiplied by its latent heat of fusion. Then, an equation can be written to relate the heat lost by the water and the vessel to the heat taken up by the melted ice. This allows for the calculation of the final masses of
Satis24
1. 0.500kg of ice at -5.00°C is put into a vessel containing 1.80kg of water at 17.00°C and mixed together, the result being a mixture of ice and water at 0.00°C. Calculate that final masses of ice and water, taking the water equivalent of the vessel as 0.148kg, the specific heat of ice as 2.04kJ/kg*K, and the latent heat of fusion of ice as 335kJ/kg
2. Q = mcΔT and Q = mLf
3. I started by finding Q = mLf of the ice. Q = (0.500kg)*(335kJ/kg*K) = 167.5kJ However I wasn't sure exactly sure where to go from here. I know that the mass of the vessel has to be added into the mass of ice at come point, but I'm really unsure of where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Satis24 said:
I started by finding Q = mLf of the ice. Q = (0.500kg)*(335kJ/kg*K) = 167.5kJ
But the question implies not all the ice melts, so the above number is too high.
In general, there are three possible end states:
- the ice warms but none melts
- some but not all of the ice melts
- all of the ice melts
You're told all ends up at 0C, so you can safely assume the middle case.
Introduce a variable unknown for the mass of ice that does melt. Using that, write an equation relating the heat lost by the water and the vessel to that taken up by the ice. Can you calculate those two quantities?

Yes I should be able to figure that out, thank you!

1. What is the basic concept behind the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem?

The basic concept behind the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem is that when ice and water are in contact with each other, there is a transfer of thermal energy between the two substances. This transfer of energy causes the ice to melt and the water to cool down.

2. How does the temperature affect the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem. As the temperature of the water increases, the rate of heat transfer to the ice increases, causing it to melt faster. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature slows down the melting process.

3. What is the role of the latent heat of fusion in the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid state without any change in temperature. In the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem, this energy is absorbed by the ice to break the bonds between its molecules and change its state from solid to liquid.

4. How does the surface area of ice affect the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem?

The larger the surface area of the ice, the faster it will melt. This is because a larger surface area allows for more heat transfer between the ice and the water, resulting in a faster rate of melting. This is why crushed ice melts faster than a large block of ice.

5. Can the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem be reversed?

Yes, the melting of ice with water thermodynamics problem can be reversed through a process called freezing. When the temperature of the water is lowered below the freezing point, the molecules lose energy and form bonds, causing the water to solidify into ice again.