Wind & Solar: A Renewable Energy Future?

In summary, it seems like wind and solar have the most potential, but chemical engineering and electrical engineering are also important. You can get student loans if you are unemployed in the US.
Sentience
From the little bit I've read online it seems like wind and solar have the most potential.

Also, can you get student loans if you are unemployed? (I have a good credit rating and I'm in the US)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think mechanical or chemical engineering are good choices for renewable energy. They both can focus a lot on heat transfer which is very important. If you are interested in wind energy mechanical is probably a good choice. Material science/engineering is really important for solar because of the need to develop more efficient panels. Then there is also bioengineering and biofuels.

Regarding loans you need to fill out the FAFSA form online. From that they tell you how much you can receive in aid. For my case I am unemployed and still get federal student loans.

Chemical engineers usually learn how to produce chemicals, so they won't be involved. Mechanical engineers design wind turbines, and materials scientists / physicists with PhDs in R&D labs design solar panels. Electrical engineers design the control systems, and all sorts of people are involved in manufacturing, installing, marketing, etc.

kote said:
Chemical engineers usually learn how to produce chemicals, so they won't be involved.

Chemicals like one uses to make solar cells? Or chemicals like biofuels?

Vanadium 50 said:
Chemicals like one uses to make solar cells? Or chemicals like biofuels?

Biofuels, yes. I don't think there are many chemical engineers involved in semiconductor manufacturing though. Chemical engineers are typically involved in the manufacture of chemicals. You don't have chemical process plants dumping material into solar panels.

Maybe there's some sub-branch of chemical engineering I don't know about, but all of the chemE's I know work in chemical plants or oil refineries. I haven't met any in solar.

When I was at NREL, there were a lot of chemical engineering students working as interns. Several worked in Photoelectric Chemistry (trying to work out hydrogen production), and I think many or most worked in biofuels. I also know of at least one chemical physics student who worked on organic PV. I don't know exactly what Chemical engineers typically do, but I know that PV research involves a lot of chemicals :P

There's really opportunities in renewable energy for a lot of disciplines, especially if you expand your horizons to things like working on developing the electric grid for distributed energy production (say, from rooftop solar panels or hybrid plug-in vehicles) which would be primarily electrical engineering.

1. What is renewable energy?

Renewable energy is energy that is collected from renewable resources, which are naturally replenished on a human timescale, such as sunlight, wind, rain, tides, waves, and geothermal heat. Unlike fossil fuels, which are finite and contribute to climate change, renewable energy sources are constantly available and do not emit greenhouse gases.

2. How do wind and solar energy work?

Wind energy is produced by harnessing the power of wind to turn turbines, which then generate electricity. Solar energy is produced by converting sunlight into electricity using photovoltaic cells. These cells are made of semiconductors, typically silicon, which absorb sunlight and release electrons, creating an electrical current.

3. What are the benefits of using wind and solar energy?

There are many benefits to using wind and solar energy, including reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, decreasing air and water pollution, mitigating climate change, and creating new jobs in the renewable energy industry. Additionally, wind and solar energy are free and inexhaustible, making them a sustainable long-term energy solution.

4. What are the limitations of wind and solar energy?

One limitation of wind and solar energy is their intermittency. Both sources rely on natural elements and are not always available, making it difficult to meet energy demands at all times. Additionally, the initial cost of building wind and solar infrastructure can be high, although the long-term savings can outweigh this expense.

5. Can wind and solar energy power the entire world?

While wind and solar energy have the potential to power a significant portion of the world's energy needs, a combination of renewable energy sources, including hydro, geothermal, and biomass, is necessary for a fully renewable energy future. The exact mix of renewable energy sources will vary depending on the location and available resources, but wind and solar will play a crucial role in reducing our reliance on fossil fuels.