HELP drift velocity question

In summary, the drift velocity in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the mass of the charge carriers and the local electric field. The length and cross-sectional area of the wire can also affect the drift velocity indirectly by influencing the local electric field. Drude's original formula included a factor of 2, but it was later dropped due to discrepancies with observed data.
rakal
In a circuit, if the voltage is doubled, what happens to the drift velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will essentially double. The Coulomb scattering cross section decreases with speed but for typical voltages the change is very slight.

thanks. Does the drift speed half if the length of wire doubles?

If you couldn't tell from the previous response,
You are supposed to at least tell us how you're thinking ...

How would a tiny charge deep inside an opaque wire find out
how long the wire was?

OK i just need to know what factors vary drift velocity. I am not very smart, my teacher is rubbish and I have exams in a week so I am quite frustrated. So length doesn't change the speed? Voltage increases the drift speed as electrons gain more energy? Increasing cross-sectional area decreases the drift speed as there is a larger area for more collisions therefore slowing down the electrons

Last edited:
No, the drift velocity is causally determined by LOCAL quantities:
the Electric Field, the charge carrier density, the density, size,
and mass of the NON-mobile atoms (and the Temperature).

Voltage only has an effect on drift velocity if it influences the local E-field.
It's the E-field that accelerates electrons, before they collide and start again.

Cross-sectional Area only affects drift velocity if it decreases R thereby decreasing V (if current is held constant) thereby decreasing the local E-field.

Increasing the length might (if Voltage is held constant) change the local E-field, in what way?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding drift velocity. Paul Drude originally had the drift velocity given by

v =(q*E/m*2)*t (1)

but then the factor of 2 was dropped and now most textbooks write the drift velocity as

v = (q*E/m)*t (2)

My question is was it measurement of the actual current in a wire that led to the dropping of the factor of two ? In other words Drude's formula disagreed with observation so equation (2) was adopted.

1. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity at which charged particles, such as electrons, move in a particular direction under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is drift velocity calculated?

Drift velocity is calculated by dividing the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the conductor and the number of charge carriers (n), and multiplying by the charge of each carrier (q).

Vd = (I / Anq)

3. What factors affect drift velocity?

The drift velocity of charged particles is affected by the strength of the electric field, the density of charge carriers, and the material they are moving through. Temperature can also affect the mobility of charge carriers and therefore their drift velocity.

4. How does drift velocity relate to current?

Drift velocity is directly proportional to current. This means that as the electric field increases, the drift velocity and current will also increase.

5. What is the significance of drift velocity in electronics?

Drift velocity is a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of electrons in electronic devices. It helps to determine the speed at which signals can be transmitted through a circuit and how much resistance a material will have to the flow of current.