Wave Problem (constructive interference)

In summary, the problem involves two speakers vibrating in phase and playing a 76.0-Hz tone, with a speed of sound of 343 m/s. There are three points on the line between the speakers where constructive interference occurs, and the distances of these points from speaker A can be found by setting up equations based on the difference in distance traveled by the two waves. There are only three possible solutions for this problem.
tubaplaya76
Hey everyone,

here's a problem that's been troubling me all day and I really have no idea what else to do:

"Speakers A and B are vibrating in phase. They are directly facing each other, are 8.0 m apart, and are each playing a 76.0-Hz tone. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. On the line between the speakers there are three points where constructive interference occurs. What are the distances of these three points from speaker A?"

I've found the wavelength (using v=343 and f=76) to be 4.513.

I then set up three equations, that I think in theory will give me the right answer:
(w = wavelength)
(l = length (8m))

x=w
l-x=3w

y=2w
l-y=2w

z=3w
l-z=w

However, when I submitted this each answer online, I got an incorrect answer. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance,

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
tubaplaya76 said:
Hey everyone,

here's a problem that's been troubling me all day and I really have no idea what else to do:

"Speakers A and B are vibrating in phase. They are directly facing each other, are 8.0 m apart, and are each playing a 76.0-Hz tone. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. On the line between the speakers there are three points where constructive interference occurs. What are the distances of these three points from speaker A?"

I've found the wavelength (using v=343 and f=76) to be 4.513.

I then set up three equations, that I think in theory will give me the right answer:
(w = wavelength)
(l = length (8m))

x=w
l-x=3w

There is no reason to impose that you are at a distance w from one speaker! You could be at 1.3 w, or 0.668w or any other distance!
(btw, notice that your solution would work only if l = 4 w which is not the case here).
What you must do is to impose that the difference of distance traveled by both waves is either 0 or w or 2w and so on.

Call x the distance from the first speaker. Then l-x is the distance from the second speaker (as you already had). Then impose that the difference between the two distances is 0 or w or 2 w, etc.

so

l-x - x = 0, w, 2w , ect.

The first possibility gives you the obvious solution: right in the middle. Then you will get the others. Of course, no solution is possible when n w gets above l, which happens for the first time when n =3. so l- 2x = 3 w has no solution in your case. This shows that there are only 3 solutions (corresponding to 0, w and 2w)

Pat

Dear Sam,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. From your calculations, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of constructive interference. However, there are a few things that might have caused your incorrect answer.

Firstly, in your equations, you have used the wavelength (w) as the distance between the speakers, but it should actually be the distance between the speakers divided by the number of wavelengths between them. So for example, for the first equation, it should be x = 8m/1w = 8m/4.513 = 1.772m. This should give you a more accurate answer.

Secondly, it is important to note that the distance between the speakers is 8.0 m, but the distance between the speakers and the three points of constructive interference will be different. This is because the sound waves travel at different distances from the speakers before they reach these points. So, for the first equation, you should have x = 8m - 1.772m = 6.228m. Similarly, for the other two equations, you should subtract the distance traveled by the sound waves from the total distance of 8m.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Scientist

Related to Wave Problem (constructive interference)

1. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two or more waves combine to create a larger amplitude. This happens when the crests of two waves align with each other, creating a larger peak, or when the troughs of two waves align, creating a deeper trough.

2. How does constructive interference differ from destructive interference?

Constructive interference results in a larger amplitude, while destructive interference results in a smaller or canceled out amplitude. In constructive interference, the waves are in phase, meaning their crests and troughs align, while in destructive interference, the waves are out of phase, meaning their crests and troughs are misaligned.

3. What are some real-life examples of constructive interference?

One example of constructive interference is when two speakers are playing the same sound at the same frequency, creating a louder and clearer sound. Another example is when ripples in a pond from two different sources meet and create larger waves.

4. How is the resulting amplitude of constructive interference calculated?

The resulting amplitude of constructive interference is calculated by adding the amplitudes of the individual waves. For example, if one wave has an amplitude of 3 and another has an amplitude of 5, the resulting amplitude in the area of constructive interference will be 8.

5. Can constructive interference occur with waves of different frequencies?

No, constructive interference only occurs with waves of the same frequency. If waves of different frequencies meet, they will not align and will instead create a more complex pattern of interference.