Need a Comprehensive Cryptography Text

In summary, according to the title, the author is looking for a cryptography book that is not afraid to present theory from a mathematician's perspective. Cryptography: Theory and Practice by Stinson is recommended by the author, but it may not be the best option for someone who is only interested in introductory material. Some reviewers on Amazon complain about the lack of mathematical rigor in the text, while others say it is sufficient for someone with a basic understanding of number theory.
DivisionByZro
As per the title, I need a cryptography book that does not shy away from math. To me it seems like many crypto books are scared of presenting the theory from a mathematician's perspective. I was recommended Cryptography : Theory and Practice by Stinson, can anyone comment on it?

Any help is very appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean besides the Bruce Schneier ones?

I'm assuming you're alluding perhaps to Practical Cryptography by Schneier and Ferguson? It seems to cover quite a few introductory topics, but exactly how "mathy" does it get? I'll have to drop by our library today to check them out, but recommendations from experienced people is always a plus. Some of the reviews on Amazon for the above book sort of worry me about the quality and mathematical rigor of the text (I take them with a grain of salt nonetheless). Here are a few excerpts from reviews:

"The book has surprisingly little math, if any."

"Recently I spoke with a PhD, from Brown, who performed decades of research in number theory. He recommended "Cryptography in C and C++," by Michael Welschenbach. He also said "I don't know why people think Applied Cryptography is such a good book. He [Schneier] doesn't seem to understand the mathematics very well.""

"At the end of the book, they warn you that a good
implementation is so hard that you really should hire an
expert to do it"

Why am I learning about cryptography if I'm just going to let someone else do the work for me? What kind of book is this??

Ideally I need something along the lines of "Cryptography and Number Theory". I've already taken an intro course in number theory, so it does not have to be a very basic text. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
I'll take that as a "yes" then...

You realize that Practical Cryptography is not the only book he's written?
Applied Cryptography?

But it kinda depends what you want to know - "cryptography" is pretty broad so "introductory" type books will be math-light, describing the field, and "practical" type books will be more like cookbooks - a bit of background theory and a lot of recipes.

OTOH: once you have an overview, you can refine your focus.
Getting these from a library is probably a good idea.

Ideally I need something along the lines of "Cryptography and Number Theory".
Ah, you want to know about mathematical codes and algorithms and the fundamentals of how they work? Then Neal Koblitz would be it :) Cheers wisvuze.

Thanks wis, for some reason I didn't immediately see those on amazon.com. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted to go along with my other book. :smile:

What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating codes to protect information from being read or altered by unauthorized parties.

Why is a comprehensive cryptography text needed?

A comprehensive cryptography text is needed to provide a thorough understanding of the principles, techniques, and applications of cryptography. It serves as a valuable resource for researchers, students, and professionals in the field, and helps to ensure the secure and efficient use of cryptography in various industries.

What topics should be covered in a comprehensive cryptography text?

A comprehensive cryptography text should cover topics such as encryption algorithms, authentication, key management, digital signatures, and cryptographic protocols. It should also include real-world examples and case studies to demonstrate the practical applications of cryptography.

Who can benefit from a comprehensive cryptography text?

A comprehensive cryptography text can benefit a wide range of individuals, including computer scientists, mathematicians, security professionals, and anyone interested in understanding how cryptography is used to protect sensitive information.

What makes a good comprehensive cryptography text?

A good comprehensive cryptography text should have a clear and concise writing style, well-organized chapters, and up-to-date information on the latest developments in the field. It should also include exercises and solutions for hands-on learning, as well as practical tips and advice for implementing cryptography in real-world scenarios.