Learn Algebra 1-Precalc for Calculus Challenge

• Thread starter Nunchi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalc
In summary, the conversation discusses various books for self-teaching algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and precalculus leading up to calculus. The options mentioned include Euclid's Elements, Euclid, Jacobs, Sullivan, Gelfand, Coxeter's Geometry Revisited, and Larson books. The speaker recommends the Jacobs book, possibly paired with Euclid's Elements, and mentions mixed reviews for the Larson books. They also mention a link to free ebooks for math subjects.
Nunchi
Would these cover all I need to know, all the way up til Calculus (not including Calculus)?
aka do they cover Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry, and Precalc -- leading me into Calculus?

---------------------------------------------------

Algebra 1:
Algebra, Gelfand

Geometry:
Euclid's Elements, Euclid (Green Lion Press edition)Algebra 2:
Precalculus, Sullivan
Functions and Graphs, Gelfand

Trig:
Trigonometry, Gelfand

Extras (the rest of Gelfand's Correspondence):
The Method of Coordinates
Sequences, Combinations, Limits
Lines and Curves: A Practical Geometry Handbook

---------------------------------------------------

I want a challenge, but I don't want to miss/skip anything important. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:
I've actually never read Euclids Elements, though I do need to.

This is an excellent geometry book for self-teaching though. It's challenging, but it has very good explanations, and progresses very naturally. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716743612/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is another good one that has a much more rigorous emphasis on writing proofs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0395977274/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Yeah, the Jacobs one was the other one I was considering. I just thought I'd feel much more involved reading from Euclid, "The Father of Geometry" lol. Especially since the Amazon reviews for that book were basically the closest thing you can get to an orgasm in text-form.

I'll look into that one (and the proof one) since it seems to be the most popular. Do you think everything else would cover all I need and should know to be ready for Calculus?

Edit: "Coxeter’s Geometry Revisited" seems to get mentioned a lot too, would that pair good with Euclid/Jacob/Doug?

Last edited:
I've heard that Euclids Elements is an excellent book. However, I don't think it's really the type of book that you would want to use for self-teaching, because I believe it's more of the theory behind geometry, rather than series of actual worked out examples. For self-teaching purposes, Euclids Elements probably wouldn't be the best choice. From what I've gathered though, it is a wonderful read, and would likely be a good supplement type book to get you more motivated to study geometry. I really need to read it myself.

I imagine all of the other books will cover what you need to know, assuming that they're relatively comprehensive books. However, I don't have any experience with the Gelfand books. I used the Larson books for Algebra 1/2, College Algebra, and I'm currently using the Larson book for Trigonometry.

Sometimes I love the Larson books, and sometimes I hate the Larson books. It really depends on the chapters. The Larson College Algebra book is quite good though as far as pre-calc algebra foundations go. The student solutions manual for it is kind of hit or miss though. Sometimes the solutions will be completely worked out, and other times it will show the original problem, and then the final answer with one intermediate step. Really? Were there any other steps between points A and point M?...lol

So far, the Larson Trigonometry book seems pretty good, but I'm only about two chapters in so far.

Here's a link to a bunch of free ebooks that you might want to check out. They're all downloadable pdf's, and they've got everything from Algebra I/II, Geometry, Trigonometry, College Algebra/Pre-Calc, and I believe maybe even some introductory calculus.

http://www.scribd.com/collections/4275493/Math-eText-Collection

QuantumCurt said:
I've heard that Euclids Elements is an excellent book. However, I don't think it's really the type of book that you would want to use for self-teaching, because I believe it's more of the theory behind geometry, rather than series of actual worked out examples. For self-teaching purposes, Euclids Elements probably wouldn't be the best choice. From what I've gathered though, it is a wonderful read, and would likely be a good supplement type book to get you more motivated to study geometry. I really need to read it myself.

I imagine all of the other books will cover what you need to know, assuming that they're relatively comprehensive books. However, I don't have any experience with the Gelfand books. I used the Larson books for Algebra 1/2, College Algebra, and I'm currently using the Larson book for Trigonometry.

Sometimes I love the Larson books, and sometimes I hate the Larson books. It really depends on the chapters. The Larson College Algebra book is quite good though as far as pre-calc algebra foundations go. The student solutions manual for it is kind of hit or miss though. Sometimes the solutions will be completely worked out, and other times it will show the original problem, and then the final answer with one intermediate step. Really? Were there any other steps between points A and point M?...lol

So far, the Larson Trigonometry book seems pretty good, but I'm only about two chapters in so far.

I see, makes sense too. I will do the Harold Jacobs one then, and maybe pair it with Euclid's for the fun of it. Hopefully someone who has used these other books responds otherwise I'll definitely check out the Larson books.

edit: Ha, I discovered Scribd today in which I payed for the month so I can get a Gelfand book. Thanks for that link!

Nunchi said:
I see, makes sense too. I will do the Harold Jacobs one then, and maybe pair it with Euclid's for the fun of it. Hopefully someone who has used these other books responds otherwise I'll definitely check out the Larson books.

Some of the Larson books seem to fall a little short on examples within the chapters. The College Algebra book was excellent in my opinion, but Algebra I and II could have been better. The College Algebra book has a great structure though. Some of the end of section exercises are very challenging, plus it has sections devoted to proofs of some of the theorems that are used heavily, as well as sections of critical thinking/problem solving type problems in each chapter that can be fairly abstract.

It's not a cheap book, but you can get it used for next to nothing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/143904869X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I think your list looks pretty good. For geometry, Kiselev's two books are really fantastic. As well, you might like to check out the Art of Problem Solving books.

EDIT: You should read Coxeter after reading something like Jacobs, Kiselev, AoPS, etc.

dustbin said:
I think your list looks pretty good. For geometry, Kiselev's two books are really fantastic. As well, you might like to check out the Art of Problem Solving books.

EDIT: You should read Coxeter after reading something like Jacobs, Kiselev, AoPS, etc.

Ahh, thanks for the input on Coxeter. I'll check out Kiselev, pretty torn on Geometry now lol.

Personally, I would recommend Kiselev or AoPS... I think Jacob's is too elementary/slow moving. You can get both Kiselev books from the publisher right now for $45. AoPS is fantastic if you want to prep for math competitions. All of their books are great.

dustbin said:
Personally, I would recommend Kiselev or AoPS... I think Jacob's is too elementary/slow moving. You can get both Kiselev books from the publisher right now for $45. AoPS is fantastic if you want to prep for math competitions. All of their books are great.
Hmm, yeah that was one of the reasons I didn't mention Jacobs in my first post. Just didn't seem to flow well with the others. I'll give Kiselev a look.

On another note: I'm home alone, it's literally minutes from midnight and I swear I hear a baby crying in my living room right now as I'm typing this. I'm really hoping someone left the TV on..

Nunchi said:
On another note: I'm home alone, it's literally minutes from midnight and I swear I hear a baby crying in my living room right now as I'm typing this. I'm really hoping someone left the TV on..

Sorry, I must have left my baby in your house earlier. I'll be back for it in the morning. ;)

AoPS is great too. The books are great, and it's a great website as well. Lots of competition style math and whatnot. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

1. What is the purpose of learning Algebra 1-Precalc for Calculus Challenge?

The purpose of learning Algebra 1-Precalc for Calculus Challenge is to build a solid foundation in algebra and precalculus concepts that are necessary for understanding and excelling in calculus. This course will cover topics such as functions, equations, graphs, and trigonometry, all of which are essential for success in calculus.

2. Who is this course designed for?

This course is designed for students who have completed high school algebra and are preparing to take a calculus course. It is also suitable for students who are currently taking calculus but need additional support in algebra and precalculus concepts.

3. How will this course benefit me?

This course will benefit you by providing a strong foundation in algebra and precalculus that will make learning calculus easier and more efficient. It will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable to many real-world situations.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to take this course?

Yes, it is recommended that you have a basic understanding of high school algebra before taking this course. Familiarity with precalculus concepts such as functions, equations, and graphs will also be helpful.

5. How is this course different from other algebra and precalculus courses?

This course is specifically designed to prepare students for calculus by focusing on the most important algebra and precalculus concepts. It also includes challenging problems and critical thinking exercises to help students deepen their understanding of the material.