How Does Mass and Pivot Position Affect a Compound Pendulum's Period?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's coursework on a simple compound pendulum and the effect of different variables on its time period. The student is using a stopclock and rotary potentiometer to measure and compare results. The variables being investigated include the pivot point, mass, and distance from the center of mass to suspension point. The main equation for this experiment is time period = 2 x pi times the square root of inertia over mass of pendulum times grav times distance from centre of mass to suspension point. In the first experiment, the student noticed an initial decrease and then a steady increase in the time period as they moved the 100g mass down the meter stick. In the second experiment, when changing the mass from
chriswalker

Homework Statement

I am doing some coursework investigating a simple compound pendulum (in the form of a meter stick with holes drilled along it's length) and the effect of different variables on it's time period.

I am using a stopclock to measure the time taken for 15 variations to minimise error when finding time period. I am also using a rotary potentiometer to allow for comparisons between results.

Variables include:

1) Pivot point fixed at the top of the pendulum, in the first hole. I am then using a 100g mass and moving this along the length of the pendulum (in each different drilled hole) to see the effect on the time period.

2) Keeping the pivot point at the same place as before, I am varying the mass from 50g to 400g at the bottom hole of the pendulum.

3) Keeping the mass in the bottom hole of the pendulum, I am moving the pivot point down the pendulum.

Homework Equations

Erm I know them but new to this so don't know how to write them out. I think the main equation is time period = 2 x pi times the square root of inertia over mass of pendulum times grav times distance from centre of mass to suspension point.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically two probs.

In the first experiment I got basically an intial fall in the time period then steady rise as I moved the 100g down away from the pivot point down the meter stick. Can somebody explain the theory in how this happened, as I am a young student and am experiencing severe difficulties...

In the second experiment, with the mass at the bottom, when changing the mass from 50g to 400g the time period increased. My teacher had said that this was not to be expected. Could someone please help me in explaining this behaviour?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you took the mass & rotational inertia of the stick into consideration.

For each of your experimental trials, what were your values for I, m, and L? And your expected period?

Last edited:

Hello, it's great to hear that you are conducting an investigation on a simple compound pendulum! Let me try to explain the theory behind the results you observed in your experiments.

For the first experiment, where you moved the 100g mass along the length of the pendulum, the time period initially decreased and then increased as you moved the mass away from the pivot point. This is because the time period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length. As you moved the mass down the pendulum, you were effectively increasing the length of the pendulum, which results in a longer time period. However, when the mass is close to the pivot point, it has less distance to travel and therefore the time period decreases. This is known as the "pendulum length effect" and is a well-known phenomenon in pendulum experiments.

For the second experiment, where you varied the mass at the bottom of the pendulum, it is expected that the time period would increase as the mass increases. This is because the time period of a simple pendulum is also affected by its mass. As you increase the mass, you are also increasing the inertia of the pendulum, which results in a longer time period. Your teacher might have been referring to the fact that the time period did not increase proportionally to the increase in mass. This could be due to other factors such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of your results.

I hope this helps to clarify the theory behind your results. Keep up the good work in your investigations!

What is a simple compound pendulum?

A simple compound pendulum is a basic physics apparatus that consists of a mass (known as the bob) attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. It is an idealized model used to study the motion of a pendulum in a controlled environment.

What factors affect the period of a simple compound pendulum?

The period (time for one complete swing) of a simple compound pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of release affect the motion of a simple compound pendulum?

The angle of release (the angle at which the pendulum is released from its resting position) affects the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) and the period of a simple compound pendulum. The larger the angle of release, the larger the amplitude and the longer the period.

What is the relationship between the length of a simple compound pendulum and its period?

The period of a simple compound pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that if the length is doubled, the period will increase by approximately 1.4 times.

How does the mass of the bob affect the motion of a simple compound pendulum?

The mass of the bob does not affect the period of a simple compound pendulum, but it does affect the inertia of the system. This means that a heavier bob will require more force to move it and will have a smaller amplitude compared to a lighter bob.