Is Glucose Soluble in Diethyl Ether? - Explained

• Thread starter aleferesco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, glucose is soluble in diethyl ether due to their both being polar. The solubility of glucose in diethyl ether is around 500 g/L at room temperature, but may vary. Glucose and diethyl ether can form a stable solution, but it may be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. Glucose dissolves in diethyl ether through solvation, where the polar solvent surrounds and separates the glucose molecules. The presence of other substances can affect the solubility of glucose in diethyl ether, with polar substances potentially decreasing it and non-polar substances having little to no effect.
aleferesco
is glucose soluble in diethyl ether?

my guess is that glucose is not soluble in ethers, but I don't know why, can somebody explain this to me please?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is glucose an organic compound? Is it inorganic? Is it ionic? Is it polar? My guess is that glucose is soluble in diethyl ether. What kinds of compounds tend to be soluble in organic solvents?

for your question! I can confirm that glucose is not soluble in diethyl ether. This is due to the chemical properties of both substances. Glucose is a polar molecule, meaning it has a slight positive and negative charge on different ends. Diethyl ether, on the other hand, is a nonpolar molecule with no charges. Because of this difference in polarity, glucose and diethyl ether are not attracted to each other and cannot form a solution. In fact, glucose is only soluble in polar solvents such as water. I hope this explanation helps to clarify why glucose is not soluble in diethyl ether.

1. Is glucose soluble in diethyl ether?

Yes, glucose is soluble in diethyl ether. Diethyl ether is a polar solvent and glucose is a polar molecule, allowing them to dissolve in each other.

2. What is the solubility of glucose in diethyl ether?

The solubility of glucose in diethyl ether is approximately 500 g/L at room temperature. However, the solubility may vary depending on the temperature and pressure.

3. Can glucose and diethyl ether form a stable solution?

Yes, glucose and diethyl ether can form a stable solution. However, the stability of the solution may be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration.

4. How does glucose dissolve in diethyl ether?

Glucose dissolves in diethyl ether through a process called solvation, where the polar solvent molecules surround and separate the glucose molecules, breaking their intermolecular bonds and allowing them to disperse throughout the solvent.

5. Is the solubility of glucose in diethyl ether affected by the presence of other substances?

Yes, the solubility of glucose in diethyl ether can be affected by the presence of other substances. For example, if there are other polar substances present, they may compete with glucose for solvation and decrease its solubility in diethyl ether. On the other hand, non-polar substances may have little to no effect on the solubility of glucose in diethyl ether.