Understanding Variation of Parameters for Solving Differential Equations

In summary: Thanks.First, let me mention that I was very careless in my last reply. I said "there is no "y" in the original equation you can integrate y'''- y'= x to get y''- y= (1/2)x^2+ C_1. It will give you the same result." Actually, I meant "there is no y" in the original equation. There is certainly a y in the solution I wrote!The point is that you can always integrate any equation if you are willing to introduce a constant of integration. In this case, y'''- y'= x is a differential equation in x so you can integrate both sides with respect to x. You
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Solve for general solution with variation of parameter

[tex]y'''(x) - y'(x) = x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially looked at [tex]y'''(x) - y'(x) = x[/tex] only and I foudn my answer to be

[tex]y(x) = C_1e^{x} + C_2e^{-x} + 1 - x[/tex]

Now i looked through my book and it says it works for ay'' + by' + c = f(t) only (second order).

So I "integrated" [tex]y'''(x) - y'(x) = x[/tex]

And I got [tex]y''(x) - y(x) = \frac{x^2}{2} + C[/tex], solving I got

[tex]y(x) = C_1e^{x} + C_2e^{-x} + C_3 - \frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

Using the computer, it gave me

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Solve[y%27%27%27+-+y%27+%3D+x]

Why does computer have negative sign??

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean when you say you "looked at y'''- y'= x only". That is the entire problem! Do you mean the associated homogeneous equation, y'''- y'= 0? That has characteristic equation [itex]r^3- r= r(r^2- 1)= r(r- 1)(r+ 1)= 0[/itex] so the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is [itex]y_h(x)= C_1e^x+ C_2e^{-x}+ C_3[/itex]

Now, you have title this "variation of parameters". To use that method for this differential equation ("undetermined coefficients" would be simpler but I presume this is for practice of variation of parameters specifically), look for a solution of the form
[tex]y(x)= u(x)e^x+ v(x)e^{-x}+ w(x)[/tex]
That is, we treat those constants (parameters) as variables- that is the reason for the name "variation of parameters". Differentiating, [itex]y'= u'e^x+ ue^x+ v'e^{-x}- ve^{-x}+ w'[/itex]. There will be many different possible functions that will work- we limit our search by requiring that [itex]u'e^x+ v'e^x+ w'= 0[/itex]

That means that we have [itex]y'= ue^x- ve^{-x}[/itex]. Differentiating again, [itex]y''= u'e^x+ ue^x- v'e^{-x}+ ve^{-x}[/itex]. Once again, we "limit our search" (and simplify the equation) by requiring that [itex]u'e^x- v'e^{-x}= 0[/itex].

That gives, now, [itex]y''= ue^{x}+ ve^{-x}[/itex] and, differentiating one more time, that [itex]y'''= u'e^{x}+ ue^{x}+ v'e^{-x}- ve^{-x}[/itex]. Putting that and the formula for y' into the equation,
[tex]u'e^x+ ue^x+ v'e^{-x}- ve^{-x}- (ue^x- ve^{-x})= u'e^x+ v'e^{-x}= x[/tex]

You see what has happened? We have no derivative of u, v, and w higher than first because of our "requirements" and we do not have u, v, and w themselves because they satify the homogenous equation and cancel. We have, instead the three equations
[tex]u'e^x+ v'e^x+ w'= 0[/tex]
[tex]u'e^x- v'e^{-x}= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]u'e^x+ v'e^{-x}= x[/tex]
which we can treat as three linear equations in u', v', and w'. Solve for those and integrate to find u, v, and w.

flyingpig said:
Why does computer have negative sign??
If you're asking about the negative sign in front of c2e-x, it doesn't matter because the sign could be pulled into the arbitrary constant c2.

HallsofIvy, my book did the same thing, they imposed on the requirement that

Why? Was I right though initially when I 'integrated' [tex]y''' - y' = x[/tex]

Yes, because there is no "y" in the original equation you can integrate [itex]y'''- y'= x[/itex] to get [itex]y''- y= (1/2)x^2+ C_1[/itex]. It will give you the same result.

However, you titled this "variation of parameters" which will be of about the same difficulty for either equation.

But why this condition

My book threw this (similar, except they used y_1 and y_2 for general derivation) out of nowhere and I am left blank minded.

How do they know it's going to work out? How did you know (don't say intuition...) the condition u'e^x+ v'e^x+ w'= 0 will enable to you solve the problem?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, because there is no "y" in the original equation you can integrate [itex]y'''- y'= x[/itex] to get [itex]y''- y= (1/2)x^2+ C_1[/itex]. It will give you the same result.

However, you titled this "variation of parameters" which will be of about the same difficulty for either equation.

Oh okay I see, because if "y" was there, then we can't assume what y really is? Is that why?

Why does it make it equally correct that I "integrated" through [tex]y''' - y' = x[/tex] because y wasn't there? Why is it okay then that I don't need to know y', yet I would get the right answer?

By the way, why do you use [/itex]? What does the i do?

1. What is the "Variation of Parameters" method?

The Variation of Parameters method is a technique used to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves replacing the constants in the general solution with functions and solving for these functions using the non-homogeneous term of the equation.

2. When is the "Variation of Parameters" method used?

This method is used when solving a non-homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients. It is particularly useful when the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How does the "Variation of Parameters" method work?

The method involves finding a general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation, then using the non-homogeneous term to find a particular solution. The particular solution is then added to the general solution to obtain the complete solution.

4. What are the advantages of using "Variation of Parameters" method?

One advantage is that it can be used to solve a wide range of non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It also provides a more efficient and systematic approach compared to other methods such as undetermined coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Variation of Parameters" method?

Yes, this method can become complex and time-consuming when dealing with higher order differential equations or when the non-homogeneous term is a complicated function. In such cases, other methods such as Laplace transforms may be more suitable.