When cigarettes come as kings

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary: Which reminds me of something I heard about sky diving- you're supposed to grab the ground if your shoot doesn't open so you... don't jump.
KingNothing
when cigarettes come as "kings"

Smokers, when cigarettes come as "kings", they are 80mm long right? When they come as 100s, they are 100mm...but is it actually more tobacco, or just a longer filter? Are 100s a better deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
Smokers, when cigarettes come as "kings", they are 80mm long right? When they come as 100s, they are 100mm...but is it actually more tobacco, or just a longer filter? Are 100s a better deal?

Well, that depends... Is having more tobacco a better deal because you get more for your money? Or is having a longer filter a better deal because you are admitting fewer toxic, carcinogenic chemicals into your body?

Kazza_765 said:
Well, that depends... Is having more tobacco a better deal because you get more for your money? Or is having a longer filter a better deal because you are admitting fewer toxic, carcinogenic chemicals into your body?

well is it better to kill yourself by taking a rusty dull knife and cutting open your chest, or jumping off a 10 story building and impacting the cement below?

The king size cigarette has somewhat larger amount of tobacco in it, an extension of the tobacco-filled cylinder with appr. 5-10mm.

KingNothing said:

Go away.

http://en.for-ua.com/files/news_images/source/news_3685.jpg

I didn't mean to be hostile or mean to you :rofl: sorry :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zantra said:
well is it better to kill yourself by taking a rusty dull knife and cutting open your chest, or jumping off a 10 story building and impacting the cement below?
Definitely by jumping off a building: It is completely painless.

have you tried it? :)

Come on people, not one post to answer the question?

Arildno, are you saying the smaller ones actually have more tobacco?

KingNothing said:
Come on people, not one post to answer the question?

Arildno, are you saying the smaller ones actually have more tobacco?
Sorry, mix-up on my part; I meant the 100's.

KingNothing said:
Are 100s a better deal?

How much extra does your health insurance charge for smokers?

My god people, I work at a gas station and sell cigarettes everyday. I don't smoke, I just want to know more about my job, I don't neeed any lectures on health!

russ_watters said:

Agreed. Jumping off the bulding is the way to go.

Rach3 said:
How much extra does your health insurance charge for smokers?
Studies seem to show that smokers tend to die quickly if they get something from this.
Saving all sorts of money on social security and long term medical care.
They should get a discount.

NoTime said:
Studies seem to show that smokers tend to die quickly if they get something from this.
Saving all sorts of money on social security and long term medical care.
They should get a discount.

Emphysema is not a quick death. My dad was completely bedridden for two years before he died. Five years before that he was constantly gasping for breath and was miserable. He was always saying he could quit smoking whenever he wanted to. He had to go cold turkey when he was no longer able to go buy them himself.

larkspur said:
Emphysema is not a quick death. My dad was completely bedridden for two years before he died. Five years before that he was constantly gasping for breath and was miserable. He was always saying he could quit smoking whenever he wanted to. He had to go cold turkey when he was no longer able to go buy them himself.
Quick is relative.
IIRC the report said about 3 years for smokers and 10 years in the nursing home for non smokers.

Non smokers get Emphysema.
Emphysema appears to have a strong genetic component.
So you might want to be careful about any dusty environment.
A lot of smokers never get anything.

But, I wasn't arguing that it was good for you.
Just that I think they should get a discount.

Sorry for your loss.

KingNothing said:
The filter lengths are almost the same. The 100s have more tobacco than the kings.

russ_watters said:

But what if you don't die right away when you fall? I mean suppose you hit something on your way down to decrease your velocity. You break most bones in your body when you bounce, but you don't actually die. That may be more painful than the knife

Which reminds me of something I heard about sky diving- you're supposed to grab the ground if your shoot doesn't open so you don't bounce. Appareently when you hit the ground every bone in your body breaks, and then when you bounce the 2nd hit jumbles your broken bones and slices up your internal organs killing you. Not sure if that's an urban legend, but something I heard.

But I digress..

Zantra said:
Which reminds me of something I heard about sky diving- you're supposed to grab the ground if your shoot doesn't open so you don't bounce. Appareently when you hit the ground every bone in your body breaks, and then when you bounce the 2nd hit jumbles your broken bones and slices up your internal organs killing you. Not sure if that's an urban legend, but something I heard.
That's got to be the most fantastic tripe I've heard in a long time.

NoTime said:
Non smokers get Emphysema.
Emphysema appears to have a strong genetic component.
So you might want to be careful about any dusty environment.

I don't know about a genetic component (not disputing, just never looked into it to confirm or refute that). But, anecdotally, the only non-smokers I've known of to get emphysema where it couldn't be attributed to second-hand smoke exposure were indeed those working in dusty environments (feed mills where they're grinding grains and everything is coated in a fine dust...a lot of the people working in those don't bother wearing dust masks or respirators, and really should).

Zantra said:
But what if you don't die right away when you fall? I mean suppose you hit something on your way down to decrease your velocity. You break most bones in your body when you bounce, but you don't actually die. That may be more painful than the knife

But I digress..
I would think that would be quite a feat, especially while all your bones are being broken.

Then again, it adds new meaning to the little plaque in my wife's family's house, "An Irishman has never had too much to drink as long as he can grasp one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the Earth." In other words, "Don't drink and jump out of airplanes"? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I don't know about a genetic component (not disputing, just never looked into it to confirm or refute that). But, anecdotally, the only non-smokers I've known of to get emphysema where it couldn't be attributed to second-hand smoke exposure were indeed those working in dusty environments (feed mills where they're grinding grains and everything is coated in a fine dust...a lot of the people working in those don't bother wearing dust masks or respirators, and really should).

There is a genetic cofactor that influences your likelihood of developing emphysema consequent to smoking. That's the level of alpha-1-antitrypsin you possess. There are a few phenotypes ranging from "normal" (MM) to "deficient" (ZZ). The latter group are highly predisposed to emphysematous change (and bronchiectasis), and smoking exacerbates the risk greatly.

You can read more about it here : http://www.lungnet.com.au/fact_sheets/alpha-1-health.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Zantra said:
But what if you don't die right away when you fall? I mean suppose you hit something on your way down to decrease your velocity. You break most bones in your body when you bounce, but you don't actually die.
Jeez, you got to pick the right building! :bugeye:
Grip strength could be an issue, especially if all the bones in your body are broken...

Last edited:
I hear that jmuping of buildings is actually pretty fun, however, the landing takes all the fun out of it.

ok the grab the ground thing was not meant to be taken seriously. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I just thought some would get some amusement out of it...

Moonbear said:
Curious covered the genetic thing.

AFAIK Black lung, Brown lung and Silicosis are all variant names for emphysema.
Your observation would have a consistent mechanism.
I think Smog is also a problem.

Don't those grain silos have a nasty tendency to explode? :eek:

When some people say their job is killing them...:uhh:

The latest and greatest study designed to show a link between second hand smoke and health risks.
No Effect.
Some people are very upset by this and want the study withdrawn.

I recall the following from a journal article on the risks of obesity.

"Being 10lbs overweight carries the health risk equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. "
And
"The effects of overweight are non linier so being 20lbs over is much worse then 10lbs. "

To me, this sounds a little extreme.
OTOH, there are all those restricted diet lifespan extension studies showing huge effects.

DeadWolfe said:
Agreed. Jumping off the bulding is the way to go.

and I hear the rush is pretty impressive too. :cool:

Both.

The filters are longer and there is slightly more tobacco in a 100. It's only about an 1/8th of an inch longer though, so that depends. Considering for most companies the price for "kings" and 100's are the same, I would say if you're looking for more out of your cig for the same price, that's the way to go. If an 1/8th of an inch isn't that big of a deal to you, then either one works just fine.

You can determine that pretty easy by taking a "king" and a 100 and lining up the tops of the filters (not the part you smoke from).

croghan27 said:
and I hear the rush is pretty impressive too. :cool:

Half of the people in this thread are probably dead of lung cancer by now.

Take 2 cigarettes break them and see if there is a difference in filter length.
:bugeye:Oh that would never work

Saladsamurai said:
Half of the people in this thread are probably dead of lung cancer by now.

and the other half from jumping off high buildings?

I'm still here! :smile:

So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
And we walked off to look for America.

Paul Simon

Zantra said:
ok the grab the ground thing was not meant to be taken seriously. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I just thought some would get some amusement out of it...

HAHAHAHAHA I got some good amusement out of that. I bursted out laughing wow hahahaha. I've got to go around sharing this information now :D Hahaha

1. What does "When cigarettes come as kings" mean?

"When cigarettes come as kings" is a metaphor that refers to the power and dominance that cigarettes hold over individuals who are addicted to smoking. It suggests that cigarettes are ruling over the person's life and controlling their actions.

2. Why are cigarettes referred to as kings?

Cigarettes are referred to as kings because they have a powerful hold over individuals who are addicted to smoking. They are often seen as a symbol of authority and dominance, and their addictive properties make them difficult to resist.

3. How do cigarettes affect the body?

Cigarettes contain numerous harmful chemicals, including nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, which can have a negative impact on the body. They can increase the risk of lung cancer, heart disease, and other health issues.

4. Can cigarettes be addictive?

Yes, cigarettes are highly addictive due to the presence of nicotine. Nicotine stimulates the release of dopamine in the brain, which creates a feeling of pleasure and can lead to dependence on the substance.

5. What are the dangers of smoking cigarettes?

Smoking cigarettes can have numerous negative effects on a person's health, including an increased risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, and respiratory issues. It can also harm the health of those around the smoker through secondhand smoke.