Simple and clear LED question. LEDs pop and break

In summary, the LED kit comes with 3 options: hard wire install, cigarette lighter install, and 9 + 9 V battery demo. The hard wire install option (shown at the top of the picture) connected to a 6-parallel switch made a loud 'pop' noise and then no longer works with the other options. The equivalent 18 V battery didn't even destroy the lights, so why did the simple switch connected to the cigarette lighter at 12 V destroy the lights? First, are the 9 volt batteries in series (creating 18 volts) or parallel (9 volts)? What is that circle dial with the rainbow colors? I am just trying to figure out what was going on. Perhaps the one plugin thing had a resistor built in
llatosz
Attached is a picture of my set-up. It is very simple and if for a car (12V)

The LED kit comes with 3 options: Hard wire install, cigarette lighter install, and 9 + 9 V battery demo.

20170523_182034[1].jpg

The peculiar thing is when I connect the hard wire install plug (shown at the top of the picture) to a 6-parallel switch, it made a loud 'pop' noise and then no longer works with the other options. Before breaking the lights, both of the other options (shown below the 6-parallel switch) worked just fine. The equivalent 18 V battery didn't even destroy the lights, so why did the simple switch connected to the cigarette lighter at 12 V destroy the lights?

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, are the 9 volt batteries in series (creating 18 volts) or parallel (9 volts)? What is that circle dial with the rainbow colors? I am just trying to figure out what was going on. Perhaps the one plugin thing had a resistor built in? The 9volt batteries will have internal resistance. Hooking straight up to a 12volt car battery without any resistance, would blow LED's, unless there is some resistors in that box. So right before they blew, did they glow (or flash) at all before frying, or just blow?

There are resistors built into the led strips, one resistor for each LED. The circle dial is just a color controller and has one input and two outputs (it can output one or two LED strips).

I cut open the covers on the 9V batteries, and they are in fact connected positive to negative in series, making 18 volts.

They fried without the slightest flash.

Another thought I had was it could be due to current build-up since I did not connect the negative wire to ground. But since the cigarette lighter plug has two wires coming out, it implies that the negative terminal on each of the 6 switches are connected to ground through the cigarette lighter, so that cannot be a possibility

What causes LEDs to pop and break?

There are several reasons why LEDs may pop and break. One common cause is overvoltage, where the LED is exposed to a higher voltage than it can handle. Another cause is thermal stress, where the LED is subjected to extreme temperatures. Physical damage and manufacturing defects can also lead to LED failure.

How can I prevent LEDs from popping and breaking?

To prevent LEDs from popping and breaking, it is important to use the correct voltage and current for the LED. This information can usually be found on the LED's datasheet. Additionally, proper heat dissipation and careful handling can help prevent thermal stress and physical damage.

Can I repair an LED that has popped or broken?

In most cases, it is not possible to repair a popped or broken LED. Once an LED has failed, it will need to be replaced. However, if the failure was due to a manufacturing defect, the LED may be covered under warranty and can be replaced for free.

Is it safe to use LEDs that have popped or broken?

No, it is not safe to use LEDs that have popped or broken. Failed LEDs can pose a fire hazard and can also cause damage to other components in a circuit. If an LED has failed, it should be replaced with a new one.

Are there any warning signs that an LED is about to pop or break?

There are a few warning signs that an LED may be about to pop or break. These include flickering or dimming of the LED, unusual heat coming from the LED, and discoloration of the LED's casing. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to replace the LED before it fails completely.