Is x not in A or B AND not in C?

In summary, the conversation is discussing set theory and the statement x\notin\left(\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\cap C\right). The person is trying to understand the meaning and how to proceed with the statement, as well as pointing out potential mistakes. They also mention that they don't want others to do their homework for them, but rather understand the concept. The summary concludes by mentioning that the conversation also touches on the equivalence of two statements and the use of negation in conjunction and disjunction, as well as other steps in reasoning.
kernelpenguin
I'm trying to prove something small with set theory and since I'm new to it, I've run into a problem. I can't understand what the following means exactly and how to proceed further. Or where the mistake is, if there is one. I think there is, because it seems... freaky.

[tex]x\notin\left(\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\cap C\right)[/tex]
[tex]x\notin\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]
[tex]\left(x\notin\left(A\cup B\right)\wedge x\in\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]
[tex]\left(\left(\left(x\notin A\right)\vee\left(x\notin B\right)\right)\wedge\left(\left(x\in A\right)\wedge\left(x\in B\right)\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]

I'd post the entire thing of which this is a small part of, but that's my homework and I don't want to get into the habit of having other people do my homework for me. Plus I want to learn how and why it works, not just do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
consider this

x is not an element of UnV
x is not an element of U AND x is not an element of V

you've said those two statements are equivalent (I think, since you've not actually said what your deductions are from line to line). find a counter example to show this is false.

negation switches conjunction and disjunction, or union and intersection.

similar observations hold for the other steps in your reasoning.

The expression x\notin\left(\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\cap C\right) means "x is not in the intersection of the set (A union B) and the complement of the intersection of A and B, and also not in the set C." This can also be written as x\notin\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C, which means "x is not in the set (A union B) minus the intersection of A and B, and also not in the set C."

To further simplify this expression, we can use the distributive property of set operations. This allows us to break up the intersection into two separate parts: (A union B) and the complement of (A and B). This can be written as \left(x\notin\left(A\cup B\right)\wedge x\notin\left(A^c\cap B^c\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C. We can then use De Morgan's laws to simplify the expression even further: \left(\left(x\notin A\right)\wedge\left(x\notin B\right)\right)\wedge\left(\left(x\in A^c\right)\vee\left(x\in B^c\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C.

This final expression can be interpreted as "x is not in A and x is not in B, and either x is not in A's complement or x is not in B's complement, and also not in the set C." This aligns with the original statement of "x not in A or B AND not in C," which means that x is not in either A or B, and also not in the set C.

To prove this statement using set theory, you can use proof by contradiction. Assume that x is in either A or B (or both), and also in the set C. This would contradict the original statement that x is not in A or B AND not in C. Therefore, our assumption must be false and the original statement holds true.

In summary, the expression x\notin\left(\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a formal language and framework for describing and analyzing the relationships between sets.

2. Why is set theory important?

Set theory is important because it is the foundation upon which all of mathematics is built. It provides a rigorous and logical approach to understanding the concepts of infinity, equality, and membership, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and other fields such as computer science and linguistics.

3. What are the basic concepts of set theory?

The basic concepts of set theory include sets, elements, subsets, unions, intersections, and complements. Sets are collections of objects, elements are the individual objects in a set, and subsets are sets that contain only elements from a larger set. Unions and intersections are operations that combine or compare sets, and complements are sets that contain all elements not in a given set.

4. What are the different types of sets in set theory?

There are several different types of sets in set theory, including finite sets, infinite sets, empty sets, and universal sets. Finite sets have a specific, countable number of elements, while infinite sets have an endless number of elements. An empty set has no elements, and a universal set contains all possible elements within a given context.

5. How is set theory used in other fields?

Set theory has a wide range of applications in other fields, including computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. In computer science, set theory is used to develop algorithms and data structures, and to analyze complexity and efficiency. In linguistics, set theory is used to study language structures and semantics. In philosophy, set theory is used to explore concepts such as identity, existence, and truth.