Topology Munkres Chapter 1 exercise 2 b and c- Set theory equivalent statements

In summary: Conversely, suppose that $A\subset B\cap C$. Then in particular $A\subset B$, so that the left side of c. holds. Similarly for $C$. Hence c. holds. In summary, for b., there are counterexamples for both implications, while for c., the left side always implies the right, but not vice versa.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Every one,

I am having some difficulties on exercise 2b and 2c from Topology 2nd ed by J. Munkres . Here are the directions:
determine which of the following states are true for all sets $A$, $B$, $C$, and $D$. If a double implication fails, determine whether one or the other one of the possible implication holds. If an equality fails, determine whether the statement becomes true if the "equal" symbol is replaced by one or the other of the inclusion symbols $\subset$ or $\supset$.

Problem 2b and 2c, respectively:

b. $A\subset B$ or $A\subset C \iff A \subset (B \cup C)$
c. $A\subset B$ and $A\subset C \iff A \subset (B\cap C)$

My attempt
Let $A=\left\{1,2,3,4,5\right\}$, $B=\left\{3,4,5\right\}$ and $C=\left\{1,2\right\}$.
b. I believe it to be true in $\implies$ and true in $\Longleftarrow$.
c. I believe it to be true in $\Longleftarrow$ and false in $\implies$.

Any counterexample can help me figure out why these are correct or incorrect.

thanks,
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cbarker1,

In b., take $A$ to be the rationals, $B$ to be the interval $(-\infty, 0]$ and $C$ to be the interval $(0, \infty)$. Then $B \cup C$ is the reals so that $A \subset B \cup C$, but neither $A\subset B$ nor $A\subset C$. In c., if $a\in A$, then since $A \subset B$, $a\in B$; similarly, as $A\subset C$, $a\in C$. Hence $a\in B\cap C$. Since $a$ was arbitrary, one concludes $A\subset B\cap C$.

1. What is the purpose of exercise 2 b and c in Munkres' Topology Chapter 1?

The purpose of exercise 2 b and c in Munkres' Topology Chapter 1 is to practice using set theory to prove the equivalence of statements. This exercise helps to strengthen understanding of basic set theory concepts and their relationships.

2. How do you approach proving the equivalence of statements in exercise 2 b and c?

To prove the equivalence of statements in exercise 2 b and c, you will need to use basic set theory principles such as set inclusion, union, intersection, and complement. You will also need to use logical reasoning and properties of equality to show that both statements are equivalent.

3. Can you give an example of how to prove the equivalence of statements in exercise 2 b and c?

Sure, for example, to prove that the statements "A ∩ (B ∪ C) = (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C)" and "A ∩ (B ∪ C) ⊆ (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C)" are equivalent, you can start by assuming that x ∈ A ∩ (B ∪ C). Then, using the distributive property of intersection over union, you can show that x ∈ (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C). This proves that the first statement implies the second, and you can use a similar approach to show the reverse implication.

4. Are there any helpful tips for solving exercise 2 b and c in Munkres' Topology?

One helpful tip is to carefully read and understand the definitions of the set operations and properties before attempting to prove the equivalence of statements. It can also be helpful to draw Venn diagrams to visualize the relationships between sets and identify patterns that can be used in the proof.

5. How can solving exercise 2 b and c in Munkres' Topology benefit my understanding of topology?

Solving exercise 2 b and c in Munkres' Topology can benefit your understanding of topology by helping you to develop a strong foundation in set theory, which is used extensively in topology. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in studying and applying topology concepts.