Proof of Sets: Proving (i) and (ii)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mathick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Sets
In summary: Therefore, $P(Z)=P(X)\cap P(Y)$, making the statement (ii) true.On the other hand, if $Z=X\cup Y$, then there exist sets $A,B$ such that $A\in P(X)$ and $B\in P(Y)$, but $A\cup B\notin P(Z)$ since $A\cup B\not\subseteq Z$. Therefore, $P(Z)\neq P(X)\cup P(Y)$, making the statement (i) false.
Mathick
If $X$ is a set, then the power set $P(X)$ of a set is the set of all subsets of $X$.

I need to decide whether the following statements are true or false and prove it:
(i) If $Z = X \cup Y$ , then $P(Z) = P(X) \cup P(Y)$.

(ii) If $Z = X \cap Y$ , then $P(Z) = P(X) \cap P(Y)$.

By examples I think that (ii) is true but (i) is false. However, I have no idea how to prove it.

Note: Example which I used was: $X=\left\{a,b\right\}$ and $Y=\left\{b,c\right\}$.

(i) $Z = X \cup Y =\left\{a,b,c\right\}$ , so $P(Z) = \left\{\left\{\right\},\left\{a\right\},\left\{b\right\},\left\{c\right\},\left\{a,b\right\},\left\{a,c\right\},\left\{b,c\right\},\left\{a,b,c\right\}\right\}$ .

However, $P(X) \cup P(Y) = \left\{\left\{\right\},\left\{a\right\},\left\{b\right\},\left\{c\right\},\left\{a,b\right\},\left\{b,c\right\}\right\}$.

That's why I disagree with a statement (i).

(ii) $Z = X \cap Y =\left\{b\right\}$ , so $P(Z) = \left\{\left\{\right\},\left\{b\right\}\right\}$ . However, $P(X) \cap P(Y) = \left\{\left\{\right\},\left\{b\right\}\right\}$ as well.

That's why I think a statement (ii) is true.

I would be grateful for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathick said:
That's why I disagree with a statement (i).
You are absolutely correct.

If $Z=X\cap Y$, then $A\subseteq Z\iff A\subseteq X\land A\subseteq Y$ for any $A$, which means that $A\in P(Z)\iff A\in P(X)\land A\in P(Y)\iff A\in P(X)\cap P(Y)$.

1. What is "Proof of Sets" and why is it important in science?

"Proof of Sets" is a mathematical method used to demonstrate the existence or properties of a set. In science, it is important because it allows us to make logical conclusions and validate our theories using rigorous mathematical techniques.

2. What is the difference between proving (i) and (ii) in "Proof of Sets"?

Proving (i) in "Proof of Sets" refers to proving the existence of a set, while proving (ii) refers to proving the properties or characteristics of a set. Essentially, (i) is about showing that a set exists, while (ii) is about showing what that set contains or how it behaves.

3. How is "Proof of Sets" used in scientific research?

"Proof of Sets" is used in scientific research to establish the foundations of our theories and to validate our conclusions. By using mathematical proofs, we can ensure that our arguments are logically sound and can be trusted as evidence for our hypotheses.

4. What are some common techniques used in "Proof of Sets"?

Some common techniques used in "Proof of Sets" include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by contrapositive, and proof by induction. These techniques involve logical reasoning, definitions, and axioms to demonstrate the existence or properties of a set.

5. Can "Proof of Sets" be used in all fields of science?

Yes, "Proof of Sets" can be used in all fields of science as it is a fundamental mathematical concept. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and computer science to validate theories and make logical conclusions based on evidence.