Crate Friction on Horizontal Floor

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with finding the maximum value of static friction for a crate on a horizontal floor. The answer given by the person is f of s, max = (coefficient of static friction)(35 kg)(9.8 m / s^2) = 127 N, while the book lists an answer of 130 N. The expert explains that this is due to rounding to 2 significant digits and reassures the person that they were doing everything correctly.
VinnyCee
I have a problem with an answer that I don't know how to arrive at.

There is a 35 kg crate on a horizontal floor that a person is pushing with a 110 N force. The coefficient of static friction is 0.37. What is the maximum value f of s, max for which the crate will not move?

I thought that the answer is f of s, max = (coefficient of static frction)(35 kg)(9.8 m / s^2) = 127 N. However, the book lists an answer of 130 N. Am I going about his problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're absolutely correct! [tex]f_{s, max} = \mu_s N = \mu_s mg[/tex] Because there are only 2 significant digits in the values for [tex]m, \mu_s[/tex] etc., the answer should be expressed with only 2 significant digits. You got an answer of 127 N which contains 3 significant digits. The book simply rounded up to 130 N to express the answer in 2 significant digits. Wasn't that simple? You were doing everything correctly!

Thank you for the reassurance! I don't think I would have gotten any further in the assignment stressing over that one little answer! :redface:

What is crate friction on horizontal floor?

Crate friction on horizontal floor is the force that acts between a crate and the surface it is resting on. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces in contact, and it opposes the movement of the crate.

What factors affect crate friction on horizontal floor?

The factors that affect crate friction on horizontal floor include the weight of the crate, the roughness of the surface, the type of material the crate and surface are made of, and the force applied to the crate.

How is crate friction on horizontal floor calculated?

Crate friction on horizontal floor can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F represents the frictional force, μ represents the coefficient of friction, and N represents the normal force between the crate and the surface.

How can crate friction on horizontal floor be reduced?

Crate friction on horizontal floor can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, reducing the weight of the crate, and applying a lubricant between the surfaces. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact between the crate and the floor can also reduce friction.

Why is understanding crate friction on horizontal floor important?

Understanding crate friction on horizontal floor is important for engineers and scientists in designing and building structures and machines that involve movement of crates or other objects on a surface. It also helps in determining the amount of force needed to move a crate and preventing accidents or damage caused by excessive friction.